40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home. Family of 2 adults + 2 children

Page 11 of 13

you specifically said tankless require no service.......... yet you installed service valves and must clean crud from the heat exchanger.
i buy a new tank, install and forget about it till it leaks in about 10 years, well i may wipe dust off the cover occasionally.......

I have them installed, I never flushed it, it doesnt need it yet, with 9$ total NG bill in summer, including gas dryer and gas stove I know its not limed up yet. BUT IT IS a fact tanks scale, and loose up to 3 % effeciency every year to scale. It is also a fact my Ng bill is 50% more where I am now with a tank, tankless worked for me to cut my bill.
Here is something else to piss you off, tankless are rated for 30 yr life, Tanks are not.

show me a 30 year link, longest tankless warranty is 10 years.........
show me a link to 3% a year to scale buildup..........
the last link you posted in my response to your claim 20% went up chimney said 13 % up chimney.
so more links please to prove you dont know whats up
DOES YOUR TANKLESS HAVE A PILOT LIGHT???????

First, I am the source of the 13% up the chimney number. That is just a rough estimate based on the total 20% standby losses of a gas tank (gas tankless EF 0.80 - gas tank EF 0.60) compared to the 7% standby losses of an efficient electric heater (0.98 EF of an electric tankless - 0.91 EF of an electric tank). The difference is attributable to the flue on a conventional gas tank.
But the 20% standby losses is the more important figure. The losses through the tank periphery are still losses--they can only be considered otherwise if the tank is in conditioned space and you are in a heating-only climate.

No, there's maybe only one model on the market today with a pilot light, out of tens of models.
Wayne

Im not showing you anything, its there in print, The only ignorant one Is you Hallerb. Learn to Google and post fact.
Tankless coil is just thick Copper pipe, What does copper piping last, 50 Years ? 60? 80? go figure Mr Hallerb. 30 year life is a design and is published.
Scale in tank, is there. I took out a 20 yr old tank with 13" THIRTEEN inches of scale, yes so the burner is heating Scale. The facts are there. there is something called Google you can search to your hearts desire to learn Facts, not the BS you keep ramping about. You are the one who is uninformed or to dam ignorant to keep posting BS ,
No my tankless has battery ignition, pilotless, works without AC. Batteries last 2 years. dual D cell.
Fact I save 12$ a month with tankless, or $144 a year. In 5 years it will be I bet 288 is the price. My 117000 Btu Bosch cost 500 with tax, and maybe 200 install, My parents 40gal NG tank cost the same , But I am saving and Hallerb you aint, so wake up or shut up your insanity.

please post the link to the 30 year lifetime, a water heater is much more than a copper coil of pipe, a modern no pilot tankless has lots of electronic controls water use sensors etc that can go bad..... heck over time technology changes a lot, with ICs your out of business. a good example is modern high efficency furnaces, they dont last near as long as the old ones did.....
will the manufacturer even stock a part at a reasonable price after the warranty has expired?
your rose colored glasses must make everything a garden of eden, even when its a swamp filled with hungry gators...
so google the 30 year lifetime, and post it............

Link - you do a google and refute me.............

Shit mine is 10 years old and no issues, I dont care of your worries im insatallin a new unit at a new location, so I save, so you piss it away , go yourself and waste it Hal boy, you always have. Keep a waisten Hal Boy.

ransley posts nothing but complaints, and refuses to post verified links.....
he just talks like a authority, claims stuff but doesnt know what he is talking about.........

Show me a tank with 10 year warranaty and I show you a tankkless with 30 year , wake up moron, tankless are pipe with coil

so show me the 30 year warranty or expected life............
bottom line you wouldnt because you cant......
calling names just demeanes you.

The longest tank heater warranty is the same as the longest tankless, 12 years. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/heating-cooling-and-air / water-heaters/waterheater-tips-205-gas-hot-water-heater-electric-hot-water- heater/overview/
The expected life of a tankless system however is roughly double the tank, and maintenance is cheaper. See
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/water_heating/index.cfm/ mytopic820

i walked thru home depot, their longest warranty is on a standard tank 12 years. you can verify this easily, sears etc.
your turn show me a 30 year life for a modern tankless..........
ransley must own stock in a tankless manufacturer, that would explain his rant.
my only point is to educate people before they buy a tankless so they arent disappointed.
what they ultimately choose doesnt effect me either way.
but i dont rant and rave like ransley, who undewear must be in a wad:)

You are a freakin moron--- learn to Google it might help your ignorance
This thread is worse than Chinese spam, and that is saying something! If you finish up by email, you can type dirty words and really vent :o)

so how many tankless did you install? you said them............
them is plural..........
but quote 500 bucks, which is suspiciously low.
please post which tankless you installed for 500 bucks each.
the best solution really again falls back on supervision and discipline. (something parents don't think they have to do anymore) Make rules and enforce them. Teenager showers are 5 minutes long. Period. No hot water problem, no outrageous water bills, no septic problems. (for those on septics). We raised 2 boys and had countless others living with us over the years and made do just fine on a gas 40 gallon unit.
and the tankless boys can stick them. I like HOT water. Not lukewarm water.
wrote in message

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 17:24:05 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"

That should tell you something. Typically, I size a 40 gal for 2 or 3 people. 50 gal is usually 4,5 or 6 people. This is all subject to their habits and personal water useage.

Lots of builders use builder grade cabinets, hvac equipment, shingles, etc., etc.

Again.......doesnt that tell you something?

I would have to say yes, that overkill unless you have a hot tub or some other strange excessive need of hot water.

Define large. More hot water WILL equate to more gas useage.

Not that I know of. You can usually buy the biggest house, car, boat, plot of land or anything else you want if you have enough dough. I could install 2 - 100 commercial gas water heaters for you if you'd like as long as you are willing to part with about $8,000. You wont run out of hot water though.

They dont pay me to advertise their brand so I choose what works best.

Yup Bubba
On Apr 7, 1:24pm, "Thomas G. Marshall"

Get an 80 gallon water heater. Check the efficiency rating tag on the heater and get the most efficient one. Ignore all other comments -- sometimes you can get too much information.
.

your far better off with a higher BTU tank........
incidently 2 tanks in series is best for added capacity....... but doubles standby losses..