40:1 or 50:1 two-stroke tools (what to do if you have both)?

replying to jamesgangnc, Bubba wrote: You most definitely havent been using 50:1 marine mix in your chainsaw....older chainsaws require more oil mix, and not marine mix.

My 35 years as strictly a two cycle tech, calls you on your bs.

Reply to
Bubba

replying to Steve Barker, Bubba wrote: He lied to you then. Im gold certified...he cannot tell you that BY LAW. If the mix , meets, or exceeds the required jaso rating...they have to honor it. Federal law says so.

Reply to
Bubba

replying to jamesgangnc, Bubba wrote: Correct..but it has to meet or exeed the jaso rating.

Reply to
Bubba

replying to zxcvbob, Bubba wrote: Best mix is red armor....nothing Walmart sells for mix is worth a darn...the ash content is too high.

Reply to
Bubba

replying to jamesgangnc, Cory wrote: I know this post about 5 years old BUT.. this is the best reply on this page that i have read... A very common misconception is this... engines do not have a ratio. It's the oil that has a ratio.

Reply to
Cory

How can a single item "have" a ratio?

A ratio is a comparison of two or more objects. None of the individual items "has" a ratio.

A ratio can be used to describe the relationship *between* the items.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

replying to Bubba, trimmer88 wrote: Why can't you just use Mobile 1 at the proper ratio ie. 40:1? Why does it have to be 2 stroke oil?

Reply to
trimmer88

replying to Bubba, -tc wrote: What about premixed 40/50:1...can I use the 50:1 premix. In a 40:1 engine? From your previous posts, I take it I should only use the recommended mix per tool

Reply to
-tc

Or get Amsoil and mix it at 100:1 for all 2-strokes:

Grumpy Old White Guy

The most important rule is NEVER create a mix that is "leaner" than the oil is recommended for. Never, for instance, mix 32:1 at 50:1, no matter what the engine specification is.

Reply to
clare

Mix one gallon of gas to one gallon of oil. This will provide plenty lubrication for any and all 2 cycle engines.

Reply to
jimmy

replying to jimmy, HB wrote: That does not make any sense. that would be a 1:1 ratio and the equipment would never start-up. people are talking about whether it is safe to use 40:1 gas on

50:1 mixture and you say 1 gal gas to 1 gal oil? surly you didn,t mean that.
Reply to
HB

replying to HB, Bobby wrote: It does not have to make sense. This is the internet so it is true. Do it!

Reply to
Bobby

replying to Bubba, Leighan13 wrote: Bubba - my problem is all the fuel in our area now has ethanol. The only fuel without it that I can find is pre-mixed. So which should I use 40:1 or 50:1??

Reply to
Leighan13

replying to trimmer88, Kyle1989 wrote: It?s not same oil

Reply to
Kyle1989

replying to SF Man, Reginald Zale wrote: This is not "rocket science"! Use 40:1 mix on all of your equipment that calls for either 40:1, 45:1 or 50:1. This will provide the correct lubrication for the 40:1 engine. Provide 5% added lubrication to the 45:1 engine and a whopping

10% added to the 50:1 engine. These slight added amounts will not cause any problems. Just think about how much oil is left in the bottle when you pour the mix into the fuel can. There's probably 5% of the measured amount adhered to the sides of the container. Unless you are totally "anal" and squeegy out every drop and micro measure one exact gallon, there isn't that much of a difference. And the supposed "TECH" that claims it will cause "carboning" is just full of it. This may occur if you run the engine rich for it's entire life cycle +, but for the everyday Joe, it really doesn't matter.
Reply to
Reginald Zale

I agree it's probably fine for all three, but your math is whacked. If you mix it to 40:1, it will provide 12.5% more oil to the engine that's spec'd for 45:1 and 25% more oil to the engine that's spec'd for 50:1. That's 2.5 times your values.

Reply to
trader_4

I run Stihl MotoMix (50:1) in all my 2-cycles.

Reply to
Willy

  I run Walmart synthetic at 40: 1 in all mine .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

replying to Terry Coombs, theDuck01 wrote: I find it hard to believe all oils are the same, so 1:40 or 1:50 will really depend on oil brand as much as anything else.

Reply to
theDuck01