40:1 or 50:1 two-stroke tools (what to do if you have both)?

mixed with the fuel drops the AKI significantly - starting with 98 MIGHT yeild 87, 91 might give you 89

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 22:28:52 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm not doubting you ('cuz I don't know) ... and I had never thought about what oil does to the octane rating ... but ...
I would 'think' that oil would be harder to burn than gasoline ... so ... adding oil ... I would think ... would RAISE the octane rating.
Are you sure oil lowers the octane rating?
On 6/17/2011 12:06 AM, SF Man wrote:

Your thinking is correct. the reason they recommend the higher octane is solely the compression ratios.
--
Steve Barker
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:16:30 -0500, Steve Barker

And if you read to the bottom of the bassfisher blog you would see that the error was corrected.

actually understands octane and detonation in an internal combustion engine.
Octane of a fuel has NOTHING to do with how fast it burns - and if it did, FASTER burning fuel would have a higher AKI or octane rating. This is because of the way detonation happens - unburned fuel - endgasses - in the cyl dissassociate into hydrogen and oxygen radicals, which are extremey active and explosive. This only happens with temerature and pressure over time - so if the fuel burns FAST there is less endgas in the cyl, for a shorter time - so less chance of disassociation and detonation. (also part of the reason an engine knocks more at low speed than at high speed, generally speaking.
This is a very "dumbed down" explanation - but it is accurate as far as it goes.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:20:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The Bruce Hamilton gasoline FAQ covers octane ratings in detail: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq /
Unfortunately, Bruce didn't add a question to the FAQ of: - Does adding 2-stroke oil to gasoline raise or lower the octane rating?
So, I will send him an email asking him to include that in the next revision of the Gasoline FAQ so that we may all benefit.
If he provides an answer via email, I'll post it here.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:20:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Still googling, I find this which backs you up: http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/two-stroke-gasoil-ratios-20502.html
"When all of the two strokes (the old days) were developed, they all used Castrol petroleum oil at a 20:1 ratio and found that 92 octane gas had the octane reduced to 72 with presence of that much oil. Modern oils wont affect the fuel quite as much, but if you started with 86 or 87 octane regular fuel, you can see where youll end with a very low octane mix. You could end up with a pinging bike."