40:1 or 50:1 two-stroke tools (what to do if you have both)?

Page 2 of 3

The ratio depends more on the oil than it does the equipment. I run everything I have on marine 2 stroke oil at 50:1. We have a jetski so we buy oil by the gallon. I've been doing it fo years and haven't had a problem. My chainsaw is 30 years old. I've got a lawnboy that is 20 years old.
On 6/17/2011 6:51 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

I also ran about 50 gallons a week of 50:1 mix gas through about 30 pieces of equipment, for almost 2 years. (That's a lot of gas and oil) Using only quicksilver oil mix. THEN the stihl guy caught wind of it and advised us that any lubrication based warranty claims we might have could be denied, so i switched to the stihl oil.
--
Steve Barker

Th stihl guy is lying to you. There are consumer protection laws that prevent any manufacturer from voiding a warranty claim as long as you have used oil that meets or exceeds the equipment requirement. No matter who made the oil. You can use the walmart oil and they can't do a thing about it.
On 6/17/2011 11:40 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

That's true, but the merc quicksilver oil is certified for water cooled. I doubt it meets the requirements for the air cooled spec.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

Look at the Quicksilver PWC oil. It is certified for air-cooled and not water cooled. It's expensive; I think it's about $9 a quart at Walmart. I haven't bought it because I'm still working on a bottle of Castrol 2-cycle oil.
-Bob
replying to zxcvbob, Bubba wrote: Best mix is red armor....nothing Walmart sells for mix is worth a darn...the ash content is too high.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 09:40:38 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

If it does not, and they can prove it - you have no warranty.
replying to jamesgangnc, Bubba wrote: Correct..but it has to meet or exeed the jaso rating.
replying to Steve Barker, Bubba wrote: He lied to you then. Im gold certified...he cannot tell you that BY LAW. If the mix , meets, or exceeds the required jaso rating...they have to honor it. Federal law says so.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 04:51:18 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

cooled engine is NOT recommended (generally) and MAY require a different mixture. Some, but not all "outboard motor oil" is suitable and meets the JASO M345 FD spec. If it only meets tc/w3 it is not recommended for, for instance, chain saw use. JASO M345 Fd severely limits engine deposits and reduces smoke, as well as requiring minimum lubricity levels etc.
replying to jamesgangnc, Bubba wrote: You most definitely havent been using 50:1 marine mix in your chainsaw....older chainsaws require more oil mix, and not marine mix.
My 35 years as strictly a two cycle tech, calls you on your bs.
replying to jamesgangnc, Cory wrote: I know this post about 5 years old BUT.. this is the best reply on this page that i have read... A very common misconception is this... engines do not have a ratio. It's the oil that has a ratio.
On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 10:14:05 AM UTC-4, Cory wrote:

How can a single item "have" a ratio?
A ratio is a comparison of two or more objects. None of the individual items "has" a ratio.
A ratio can be used to describe the relationship *between* the items.

4 out of 5 of those references are accurate. The one that is not is the one from Bubba the BassFisher.
As far as the one about not using more than recommended, it is only accurate if using the correct oil. If NOT using the correct oil, more oil may provide close to the same protection as using the right amount of the right oil. - but it IS true.
As for not using synthetic 2 stroke oil, it is also accurate - particularly with a simple port timed 2 stroke. A rotary valve or Rave valve 2 stroke is more of a sealed system when shut down, suffering less from moisture and corrosion issues - the ideal may be to use a semi synthetic - just enough "real" oil to provide some anti-corrosion protection, while most of the lubrication is provided by the "smokeless" synthetic.
On a $99 weedeater I wouldnt worry too much about it, but on an $8000 Rotax aircraft engine Iwould pay heed to their warnings.
The problem with Bubba the Bassfisher's assertion that oil increases the octane rating is that it is just plane WRONG (hey, don't take my word for it - Echo, and Rotax - MAJOR manufacturers of 2 stroke engines agree)
replying to SF Man, Bubba wrote: Thank you for posting. It drives us techs crazy when people use the advice of people who don't research. Its refreshing.

In Burkina Faso (and many other African countries) they run the oil mix extra strong on their mopeds to keep them from seizing up in the heat - wevery month or so it's pop off the cyl head and scrape the carbon off the head, piston, and ports with a wooden stick..
Smoke like a fiend!!!

own replacement out of sheet copper, and anneal it every couple times they take it off - just throw it on the fire, pull it out and quench it.
Many of the Mopeds running around in Ougedougou and other cities are OLD colonial era units - Solex, Peugeot, Motobecane, Mobylette? etc from the early to mid sixties. Then there are the later Hondas etc and the new Tomy and other Chinese units. Many of the old ones have very little paint left on them - sun-bleached and worn to a fine patina.
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:11:43 -0400, clare wrote:

That's also a maintenance requirement (every 30 hours of run-time, IIRC) for the B&S engine in my mower. The head gaskets seem designed to be reusable, at least to a certain extent. I expect it might be a requirement for a lot of yard equipment, but nobody ever bothers :-)
cheers
Jules
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:59:09 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

worry about on both Tecumseh and Briggs engines with unleaded gas. Bach when gas was leaded it was a different situation - lead/ash/carbon deposits were sizeable and HARD.
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:14:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Interestingly, the local tool shed strongly advises 89 or 91 AKI (octane rating) of not more than 10% ethanol (which, here in California, is almost impossible not to use).
I'm not sure why they are so strong about not using 87 AKI with the two-stroke motors.
When I asked them about the 40:1 and 50:1 ratios, they tried to sell me this 'stuff' in a can which they say lasts forever and has the oil and gas already mixed (so they were of no real use).
I trust you guys - 'cuz you're not making money off of me - and I can trust your advice.