$40.00 And Done Converter Box?

x posted to alt . cable-tv alt . home . repair alt . tv . tech . hdtv

Are there any recommended $40.00 preferably pass through converter boxes for sale and if so can you kindly provide a link. TIA.

Reply to
candy

Look for the Zenith DTT901. Google is your friend!

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Just curious, where would one purchase one of these besides online, should I want another (I already have two.) I bought mine at Circuit Shitty, but they seem to have taken their ball and gone home. I have three old TV's but only bought two boxes because one of them is on cable. Based on what I've seen online the Zenith really is the best cheap box, and I have been happy with mine. It actually gets better reception than the one TV that I have with a digital tuner (but obviously a HD LCD TV has a better picture than an old CRT)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

9.95/Month 30GB

Heard e-bay is good but can i use $ 40.00 coupon on there ? (have looked but nothing yet)

Reply to
gnu/linux

Google for reviews of boxes, Consumers Reports review has a link to the review at google, what I have in seen in reviews local stores dont carry what is best, they are online.

Reply to
ransley

on cable.

I have 3 tv's, all on cable, but I bought a box anyway. What ya gonna do if the cable goes out just before the superbowl? Or goes out for a week like mine did when a tornado tore up the neighborhood?

KC

Reply to
KC

Actually, if I were watching the super bowl at home, I'd use one of the converter boxes. Get a better picture that way. seriously.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Absolutely. Much less likely the air will break, and very unlikely to break at the same time as the cable.

But I've decided to postpone the switchover for 3 or 4 months.

Reply to
mm

Besides them, there was Radio Shack, and either Best Buy, or Walmart. Between the three of them they only had 4 models. Plus local stores. There's one in Baltimore selling 2 different modes that none of the big 3 stores had. Maybe nicer, didn't have ttime to check.

Reply to
mm

Try Radio Shack, Fry's, or an Insignia at Best Buy.

Reply to
UCLAN

How so?

Reply to
UCLAN

I saw them advertized at Best Buy and Sears last week for $50.00.

I have not received my coupon yet...

shirleyann

Reply to
Shirley ann

When I was looking, Best Buy sold something else (forget what - Apex maybe?) and Wal-Mart theoretically had the DTVPal but was out. Didn't look at Radio Crack, maybe I should roll by there and check.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The local Radio Shack manager told me yesterday that they had been ordered to stop selling and return the Zenith boxes, he didn't know why. The DTT900 has worked well for me and handles multipath better than the tuner on a Viewsonic HDTV I briefly tried. I use the RF OUT into a string of VCRs so might not notice an audio problem. Reviews of the TR-40 CRA liked the EPG but called it merely average otherwise, and possibly unreliable. I'm still waiting for long-term user's comments on the other boxes to be posted here, and what better place is there than alt.tv.tech.hdtv?.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have the Zenith DTT901 and it seems to work as advertised.

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

For threads and discussions on the converter boxes, hard to beat

Alan F

Reply to
Alan F

Echostar TR-40 DTV Converter Box $39.99

Bill

Here is a better link...

(Echostar TR-40 DTV Converter Box $39.99)

Reply to
Bill

My image of anything with hdtv in it would be that it is full of people who have digital if not hd tvs already and won't be using a coverter box at all.

And partially full, like many newsgroups on many topics, of people who want other people to spend more money than they want to.

Reply to
mm

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 21:48:17 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote for every to trash:

I have a PVR w/ record, pause, rewind. Converter box does not.

Reply to
Chill Out