4" PVC pipe to old metal pipe

I have to replace an old cracked black 4" septic iron pipe with a new 4" PVC pipe, and I'm struggling with how to get the connectors to fit. Say I cut out the 10' piece and push the PVC 10' piece up there, but now I can't get the 4" rubber pipe clamps into the connecting point. Anyone got an idea for this? Can the rubber pipe clamp be forced down the PVC pipe a few inches without damaging it?

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Pipe is likely cast iron. You *may* be able to Sawzall it. Renting a "snap cutter" is another choice.

One end of the CI pipe has a "hub" on it; I assume you will be cutting one or more hubs out so you have plain pipe to deal with.

Yes, you can slide the No-Hub rubber insert

back over the PVC. Slide the stainless band out of the way. The section you cut out should be a hair over 10Ft, maybe 1/2" longer. That will leave room for the raised edge inside the rubber coupling.

Be sure to support the new pipe adequately with compacted fill.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I should have said that "Mission-style" rubber couplings are more commonly used underground as they afford more flexibility than No-Hubs. These have 2 clamps and no sleeve.

Any cut pipe ends should be dressed to remove sharp edges which may cut the rubber.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The rubber connectors I have seen allow you to fold one side down over itself and then unfold it once the pipe is in place. Is that your question?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'm retired, so a metal-cutting sabre saw will have to do it.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Do yourself a favor and rent a snap cutter.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan