4 Bits in 2 Hours

Went through 4 masonry bits installing framing for windows in a concrete foundation. Some holes were very straightforward - the bit cut easily to the full depth. Others either immediately destroyed the bit (remove the carbide flange) or would just not cut into the stone, like it was hitting some aggregate that was very very hard.

Suggestions anyone? Can I use a power nailer to attach 2 x 4s to concrete?

Reply to
rjkerr

I had THAT trouble here, bought a real hammerdrill and problem went away. apparently the aggragate in my block are extremely hard.

I dropped my Hilti out aq second floor window, it was OLD bought from a garage sale...

ended up buying a cheapie chicago electric hammerdrill from harbor freight, buying good bits from home depot the hammer drill type its a breeze........

since I need the hammer drill infrequently the harbor freight one is fine.....

Reply to
hallerb

Hammer drills are just the best thing going for drilling concrete. I wondered if he'd hit rebar.

I've heard that power nailers (the ones with the .22 blank shells) will do nails into concrete. Never tried it, but this I've heard.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:bg7Gg.18751$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

THe power nailers do work. The single shot ones are good for infrequent low volume tasks. They are only like $25.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Better-quality bits.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I suspect that the problem is with the quality of the bits and the hammer drill.

SDS grade bits from Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, etc in an SDS type hammer drill should solve your problem.

Powder actuated guns can certainly shoot nails through 2x4 into concrete or steel. The hammer drill method is better. The PAT tool may not fully drive the nails to full depth and/or may blow out large chunks of concrete. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

And they WILL do a U-Turn and come back at you if you hit aggregate or rebar. I know. I've seen it many times.

You can't beat a roto-hammer. Even a small one like a Milwaukee. They use a different manner to hammer and turn the bit than a hammer drill. As a hammer drill is better than a regular drill, so is a roto-hammer better than a hammer drill.

If you need to do any serious or repetitive drilling of holes, either buy or rent a roto-hammer. And you don't need the jackhammer size unless you are core drilling. There are roto-hammers made that are the same size as the Makita and comparable hammer drills. (the larger ones)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have done it both ways, hammer drill and rotary hammers. Hammer drill works for me only if I don't hit aggregate (have had failures with both 3/8 and 1/2 inch hammer drills). Anymore I don't even try using one, I just rent a rotary. They are so much faster.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Try drilling slower. Masonry bits work best at slow speed with a hammer drill.

Reply to
RayV