3rd world wiring question

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 17:33:25 -0800, David Nebenzahl

The "american" style parallel rectangular blade plugs should NEVER be used on 220. Those are SPECIFICALLY 110/117 plugs.

That's not so -- in SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia + ?) 220v electric outlets accept the same style (unpolarized) prongs as in the U.S., as I recall. In Hong Kong, especially in older buildings, outlets usually have adapters that allow many different plug configurations, including the U.S. style.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

By the way: you may think you're correct, but you're not. Either you think you're responding to the original poster (you're not) or you don't know how to read headers. From my post (to which you are responding)
You'll note that my post was composed and sent via "Microsoft Outlook Express," which cannot access Google Groups. You'll also notice that the insertion point was www.giganews.com, which is a news service and server - also not Google Groups.
On another matter, that of "imposing Gringo values on them," that is what we are supposed to do. It is humanity's imperative to advance and it is America's role to lead. Whether it's Polio vaccine or Martha Stewart, they need to emulate us, they want to emulate us, they want to BE us.
On 2/4/2009 8:41 PM HeyBub spake thus:

I know how to read headers; somehow that was 'spozed to be a reply to the OP, not you, so I don't blame you for getting a mite tetchy there. Was trying to tell *him* ... nevermind.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 14:53:53 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Two voltage testers I would recommend are a no contact voltage tester, and a combination voltage/continuity tester.
This is a good all around tester and IMO the best kind for home use. It will test with a single probe, voltages from 120V - 600V without the need for ground or neutral. 60 bucks It will also tell you if you have a complete or open circuit. http://www.testersandtools.com/Greenlee-GT-65-Voltage-Continuity-Tester-Probe.php
The no contact voltage tester is a pocket tester for 15 bucks. This one works up to 1000V. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Prices and mileage may vary. I send the link to the first one I could find.
I am not sure I would boldly go where you are going.
Good luck
On 2/2/2009 6:59 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Why do you say that?
Lots of houses here (U.S.) that haven't upgraded from old (knob & tube or 2-wire non-metallic cable) wiring have just that arrangement with no (separate) ground, and most of them are just fine.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
Ground wire is a safety feature. If a wire comes loose within an appliance, it shorts to ground wire, and trips the breaker. In case of no ground wire, it energizes the appliance, and waits to shock a person.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Actually, ALL of them are just fine. If one does move to the "not fine" condition, it almost instantly ceases to exist.

"That is true. Old wiring can last a long time. Disturbing it causes lots of problems. The less you have to mess with it, the better off you are.
On 2/2/2009 4:43 PM rmpodmore spake thus:

So, any news to report on your project?
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it