3m window film and hurricanes

I'm interested in any 1st hand knowledge of the effectiveness of the 3m security window film on homes that sustained damage in hurricanes Charlie or Frances. Did it hold up when damaged? Did it leak? Etc... I might be interested in getting it for my old double-hung sash windows but so far I've only read advertising claims and not any personal experiences with the product. Any Pros & Cons about the product that you have experienced would be great. Thanks, Karl

or
I've
would
The film is intended to make window glass more like safety glass. Holds the pieces together a bit better.
As for the film leaking that is the job of the glass, and frame not the film.
The film is applied just short of the whole pane of glass like window tinting is for cars.

Charlie
be
The windows that are now required by code in South Florida are very resistant to breakage, especially by the firefighters trying to get in to rescue the home's occupants. Is this the same kind of film? If so, why not just install hurricane shutters? If it breaks easily but like the windshield of a car, fine.
For the south florida people: I didn't hear what happened to the argument over this with firefighters---did the code relax?

the
Paragon Are you the Paragon that posted on the RADP board ?
-- JerryD(upstateNY)
&gt; I'm interested in any 1st hand knowledge of the effectiveness of the 3m<BR>&gt; &gt; security window film on homes that sustained damage in hurricanes<BR>Charlie<BR>&gt; or<BR>&gt; &gt; Frances.&nbsp; Did it hold up when damaged?&nbsp; Did it leak?&nbsp; Etc...&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I might<BR>be<BR>&gt; &gt; interested in getting it for my old double-hung sash windows but so far<BR>&gt; I've<BR>&gt; &gt; only read advertising claims and not any personal experiences with the<BR>&gt; &gt; product.&nbsp; Any Pros &amp; Cons about the product that you have experienced<BR>&gt; would<BR>&gt; &gt; be great.&nbsp; Thanks, Karl<BR><BR>The windows that are now required by code in South Florida are very<BR>resistant to breakage, especially by the firefighters trying to get in to<BR>rescue the home's occupants.&nbsp; Is this the same kind of film?&nbsp; If so, why not<BR>just install hurricane shutters?&nbsp; If it breaks easily but like the<BR>windshield of a car, fine.<BR><BR>For the south florida people:&nbsp; I didn't hear what happened to the argument<BR>over this with firefighters---did the code relax?<BR><BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The film is intended to make window glass more like safety glass. Holds<BR>the<BR>&gt; pieces together a bit better.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; As for the film leaking that is the job of the glass, and frame not the<BR>&gt; film.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The film is applied just short of the whole pane of glass like window<BR>&gt; tinting is for cars.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; ---<BR>&gt; Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.<BR>&gt; Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A href="http://www.grisoft.com ">http://www.grisoft.com </A>).<BR>&gt; Version: 6.0.742 / Virus Database: 495 - Release Date: 8/19/2004<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Paragon Are you the Paragon that posted on the RADP board ?
Yes, I am the Mighty Paragon, Chief Inspector of the LIB. I still post to RADP.
--
JerryD(upstateNY)
"Paragon" < snipped-for-privacy@HAPPYearthlink.net> wrote in message

Our window distributor just covered this in a meeting. They make vinyl replacement widows among other things. The ones they sell in FL must meet very high standards. If a 2x4 shot out of an air cannon at 180mph does not bounce off it, it fails. That goes for the frame and the glazing. The loss of even one window can lead to the roof getting torn off in high winds.

not
argument
Yes, but were the firefighter's concerns addressed?

Since the alternative is plywood TapCon screwed to the block wall or steel panels with 20 or 30 screws them, the unbreakable window is the least of their worries. At least you can open it from the inside. I worry that we will be hearing about fire deaths because people were captive in their home when the Coleman lantern exploded.
I seal up my house pretty well but I still leave a means of egress in 3 directions and if the 180 MPH 2x4 finds those holes it will get in. Fortunately I do have a couple 135 MPH doors and a window in fairly well sheltered areas that I don't shutter. I am in the "cone" for my 3d storm in a month. So far so good. See you Wednesday ;-)