38 year old freezer efficiency?

Page 3 of 3
Doug wrote:

You may stand a better chance of getting a part for a 38-year old freezer than for a five-year old one!
The older freezer has fewer parts, none of which are expensive circuit boards.
Robert Green wrote:

For inductive loads like motors, I wouldn't trust those consumer-grade "kill-o-watt" meters any further than I could throw them. They won't be measuring the actual power being used the same way that your utility power meter does.
For electric baseboard heaters, incandescent lights, toasters, electric stoves, kettles, boilers, electric hot-water heaters - the kill-o-watt meter will work ok.
For inductive loads like compressors (fridge, air conditioner, furnace fan) and especially anything with a switching power supply like your desktop computer, TV, CFL or any other fluorescent lights - forget it.

Wrong, it computes actual power. PF.
Greg
On 4/10/2012 8:31 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

I have, did cumulative watt-hours and it also give the number of hours that the data was collected. So, I put it on yesterday afternoon. After 17 hours, it was about 2KWH. We pay 11 cents per KWH. I'll keep you all posted on the final results.

Finally got all results.
Old fridge 3kwh per day, 11 amps defrost, 3.5 amp compressor, .59 pf, 250 watts compressor
90's fridge 1.4 kwh per day 3.6 amps defrost, 2 amp compressor, .8 pf.,200 watts compressor.
Looks like the old one needs better insulation, but the defrost is sucking power. I don't have any switch for door heater on the old one, and not sure if it has a door heater. Even though I like the old fridge, maybe I should watch craigs list. Got somewhat smaller fridge for my sister last fall. $125 one year old, nice unit. I should also look into rebate, and I don't want to pay for freon removal.
Greg
gregz wrote:

Simply put the old fridge on the curb. Attach a (LARGE) note: "WORKS."
The machine will be removed by the urban faeries.

After removing the door(s).
On 4/10/2012 8:31 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

of use, it averaged 2.72KWH per day. The room ambient has been pretty much a constant 68-70 degrees during the measurement period. In the summer I would probably be about 8 to 10 degrees warmer. At the $0.11/KWH, that's $0.30/day or $109.10/year. BTW, my electricity charge is probably going to go up in the next few months ... there is a case presently under review. Anyway, even if I save $50/year, it would take a whole lot of years to pay for a replacement. Interesting.

I had that as a hunch tho I couldn't put nice numbers to it as you did. Thanks for the feedback.