33,000 injured each year while using the toilet

33,000 injured each year while using the toilet by Fred Hosier August 22, 2011

Imagine this: You?re being treated in a hospital emergency room. The medical professional attending to you tries to make ER small talk by asking, "How?d this happen?" And you answer

"I was using the toilet."

You and 32,999 other Americans each year.

Really.

A report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates 234,000 nonfatal bathroom injuries were treated in U.S. emergency departments in 2008.

Of those bathroom injuries, 14.1% occurred when people stood up from, sat down on or were using the toilet.

Injury rates increased with age, from 4.1 per 100,000 among persons age

15-24 to 266.6 per 100,000 among those aged 85 or more.

The CDC says injuries among people aged 65 or older associated with using the toilet might be attributed in part to vasovagal syncope. The condition is a common cause of fainting and can be brought about by relieving oneself.

Standing after prolonged sitting can also result in postural hypotension, a sudden drop in blood pressure that causes light-headedness or dizziness.

Some other stats from the CDC?s bathroom injuries report:

  • 81% of all bathroom injuries were caused by falls * head/neck was the most common body part injured (31%) * most patients were treated and released, but 13.7% were admitted, and * bathing, showering or getting out of the tub or shower was the most common cause of bathroom injury (37.3%).

The best prevention steps, especially for people age 65 and above: Install grab bars inside tubs and showers and near toilets, and add anti-slip strips to the bottom of tubs and showers.

Paintedcow

That's as many as shot by guns.

A background check should be conducted each time someone goes to the toilet ;)

Reply to
Frank

Won't happen at my house. We took out the damned toilet to prevent injury. Safer to just go out to the front yard and squat. Actually, mostly on the neighbors lawn. He has been complaining about a big dog in the neighborhood.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Was about to say that I am not /that/ uncoordinated until I remembered that I injured myself on a first aide kit.

Nothing much though, I just bent over to tie my shoe and bumped my head on a wall mounted unit.

I probably should not mention the time I pinched my finger closing such a kit.

Reply to
philo

They make those first aid kits so you injure yourself on them, so you will need to re-stock it with supplies. (that makes them more money).

Reply to
Paintedcow

Great idea, and you wont slam your penis under the toliet lid either.

Of course if you do have a toilet and happen to slam your penis under the lid, you have one of two other problems. 1. You're too young to be using a toilet without your parents help. 2. You're penis is too long, and needs to be surgically shortened or removed.

There was once a story about a guy who always slammed his penis in his car door, and then he drove over it with his front tire when backing out of his garage. VERY PAINFUL! Surgeons removed 2 feet, but then he could not walk..... :)

Reply to
Paintedcow

Oren posted for all of us...

Yeah Al Gore probably gave the order.

Can't sell what you don't advertise... Pure admiration...

Reply to
Tekkie®