Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Directional sense of smell and hearing in humans?
Sound: Ok, I didn't believe what I read that your brain can tell the direction of sound because one ear hears it first, I thought it was just volume. I mean detecting 2/3rds of a millisecond?! But I...

cooling cycle of a refrigerator
The refrigerator side is typically cooled by moving some air past the coils on the freezer side and into the refrigerator side. So, if you put the heater on at the coils in the freezer, the air temp...
5
5

rust deposit on dishes in new DW; cold tap runs warm; related?
2-3 month old d/w. Worked pretty good (absolutely fabulous by comparison to what it replaced). One day noticed some of lower rack wasn't getting clean. Even after all these weeks I still think it is...
5
5

AC Intermittently not working.
I have an outside unit AC. Air handler and condenser unit all in one. I keep on getting an intermittent failure of the compressor to kick on. I've noticed it for off and on for several weeks. The...
4
4

doing things right
I have no problem buying cars since I separate the deal from the financing and trade plus I deal with family and friends.
24
24

Furnace reset
Replaced my batteries in thermostat when low batteries flashed on the screen but my air conditioner will not come on. Is there a reset required?
3
3

New California Law Limits How Much Water People Can Use
California is a strange place. We stopped for lunch at a place that locks up the water tap An hour up the road we stopped at a hotel that had this shower...
12
12

Installing ceiling fan with joists too close apart for ceiling brace kit
I am trying to install a ceiling fan (about 17lb). The outlet box was plastic and probably not rated for ceiling fan so I have it knocked out and was planning to use a ceiling brace kit. However I...
4
4

Making a foot bridge, need some help
I don't know for sure, but you can play with some numbers here and get a rough idea According to this, you need some support, but this may be to drive across. If you are going to build a small bridge...
6
6

What can I put over my ceiling that just collapsed in one of my bedrooms?
Nail up a piece of cheap 1/4" plywood?
6
6

Kitchen Sink Moen Faucet Weak Flow/Pressure
Kitchen Sink Moen Faucet Weak Flow/Pressure: OK....... Here We Goooooooooo. I have a new Moen Kitchen Sink Faucet, Caldwell m/n CA87060SRS. It is a two valve (one Hot and one Cold faucet), high arc...
1
1

EPA's Pruitt spent $1,560 on 12 customized fountain pens
There's an old quote. "Watch your pennies and the dollars watch themselves." I read an article long ago was about the habits of rich people. It doesn't matter if something costs only a dollar. They...
2
2

security camera recommendation
[snip] When you find a golden unicorn walking around in your yard, ask him. What you're asking for likely is not available at a cost that anyone would consider reasonable. Also your neighbors might...
17
17

How do flatbed microwave ovens work?
This is what I think of as a magnetron, as used in conventional microwave ovens with a turntable: It's about the size of a fist. So how do they make them flat under the food cavity in flatbed ovens?...
15
15

Speed of light measurement using a domestic microwave oven
This did make me laugh: "Please note that the resolution given by full-sized marshmallows is inadequate." "The author has tried this experiment with Flake bars, which not only burn but produce large...