312 yards from a top a horse with a .40!

Todd,

No, more like 100 yds. Still 100yds with a pistol if he trains at that distance is a good shot. If he doesn't train at that distance it's a lucky shot.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Even if he's been training at that range , it's a very lucky shot . I MIGHT be able to do that with a TC Contender with a 14" bull barrel and a 4X scope over sandbags ... and I'm considered a pretty good shot with a handgun .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Shooting at 100 yards with a handgun is not all that hard if you shoot very much. This was just a chest shot. When I was shooting regulary and could see beter I could hold my 357 and 22 cal revolvers in about 6 inches at 50 yards and most of the time I could hit one of the skeets laying on the berm about 3 out of six shots shooting off hand with open sights. At the gun club I would go to the skeet range and pick up unbroken skeets and then set them up on the handgun and rifle ranges and shoot at them. The first time I shot at a bowling pin some one had left at the range at 100 yards it took me

5 shots as I had to walk the shots to it as I was sighted in at 25 yards. Those 357 rounds drop a lot more than I thought.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Ya, I goofed the yards vs feet. And holding the reins of two horses, not sitting on to of one. Still, as extraordinary shot

Reply to
Todd

I would have been able to make that at 100 yards with my .45 under ideal circumstances (no adrenaline, perfect lighting, etc.), but its still would have been a very lucky shot. You can get rifle like accuracy with some properly tricked out handguns. (I do not believe his .40 was tricked out.)

Reply to
Todd

:-) No light loads either!

Reply to
Todd

It probably was a lucky shot,but sometimes you just shoot in their general direction to get their mind off shooting and for them to take cover.

Most likely he was shooting a Glock if a 40cal and not that well sighted in.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You make good points.

The thing about a .45 is that there is no end to the customization. If I am not mistaken, other than rubber grips, Glock's as an as is weapon. I could be wrong.

And, I know I misread a lot of the original article, but the officer only took one shot. I don't know what was going through the officer's mind, but my mind would have been terror over protecting the public. And knowing if I missed, he would have probably turned his superior weapon on me.

I would love to know if the officer has ever shot competition.

Reply to
Todd

Todd wrote in news:m60sjc$bsv$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

There was plenty of information given, but you appear to not have read very much of it. OF COURSE he didn't hit anyone -- it was two thirty in the morning!

Reply to
Doug Miller

Never saw an information about the occupants of the building he was shooting into.

Reply to
Todd

At that hour of the morning there still must have been enough of a crowd that the police need mounted patrols. They never filled that part of the story in.

Reply to
Todd

At that hour of the morning there still must have been enough of a crowd that the police need mounted patrols. They never filled that part of the story in.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Todd

Todd,

This is Austin, TX. The only democrat county in the entire state ?

"Austin is the self-proclaimed "live music capital of the world" and the people of Austin reflect a friendly, accepting culture of artistic and individual expression that maintains the city as a vibrant and eclectic creative center and haven for an LGBT community, intellectual community, community of naturalists and environmentalists, and for subcultures and people(s) who are not mainstream. In a mostly conservative Texas, Austin is "Weird" because of that and because it continues to be liberal and progressive politically, socially, in culture, in the arts and in music, among other things. "Keep Austin Weird" moves beyond a mere slogan, to reflect the dynamics that encompass Austin."

...bunch of hippies :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Oren

Probably why the shooter's bullets did not hit anyone: they veered away in revolution. :-D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Todd

About 40 years ago a town near me was having a vote about selling alcohol in a county. The largest ammount of money given to the fight against selling was from one of th biggest bootlegger in the county.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:73eade3b-0377-42ee-a8b5- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You really need to work on that reading comprehension problem. I didn't say liberals are criminals. I said criminals are liberals.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug Miller:

Not all criminals are liberals! How f'king dare you? Criminals come in all stripes & genders, democrats, republican, male, female.

Conversation is a waste of my time. Hurry up Doug: Mark Levin's on WABC and O'Reilly's coming up on FNC! smh...

Reply to
thekmanrocks