30A breaker feeding a 100A sub-panel?

I was visiting my brother's house during some basement remodeling, and noticed that the electrical contractor had added a 100A loadcenter to feed the new basement lights, etc.

The new 100A loadcenter is fed via a 30A double-pole breaker in in one of the home's original two loadcenters. This struck me as being odd. After consideration, it would seem that (as long as wires are properly sized) it is not unsafe electrically but what does the electrical code specifiy?

Also, I would anticipate nuisance tripping of the 30A breaker feeding the sub-panel, since there are several 15A and 20A breakers in the sub-panel and even if a few are run near max it would exceed the 30A breaker rating.

Thoughts, anyone?

Reply to
DesignGuy

He had a 100 amp panel but not a 30.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

probably not a issue unless all loads are on all the time.

take a look at most main panels, 100 amp main with at least 20 or perhaps more 20 amp breaker slots.

what his mains capacity?

Reply to
hallerb

Not a problem at all. The "100a" just refers to the maximum you could use it for. The 30a breaker protects the feeder and that is all that matters.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nothing improper about it at all. If it's determined that 30 amps @240 volts or 60 amps @120 volts is adequate for the circuits being supplied, it'll be fine. BTW you don't add up the amperage of the circuit breakers in the sub panel to determine the necessary feeder size for the panel

Reply to
RBM

A panel can run under it's rating but not over it's rating.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf