30 year anthony silvan pool - Coping tiles showing pits and aggregate

We have a 30+ year old anthony Silvan pool. The coping stones are the white precast concrete bullnose type. They haven't been properly sealed and are old. The aggregate is showing in spots and there are pits where aggregate stones fell out.

I'm going to need the whole replacemnet repair where the bedding for the coping tiles and the tiles are replaced. I need to put the job off for a year or so.

In the meantime, I'd like to seal up the coping stones to keep them from deteriorating any further. I can see a couple of options and would like any opinions.

  1. Use something like Thompson's water seal. - Not sure if it will leave the stones slick and I surely don't want to get any in the pool

  1. Paint the coping stones with a concrete paint and non skid addative.

  2. Use a surface bonding cement - Expensive and it would be difficult to follow the bullnose or blend it where the curve is.

All I'm trying to do is stabilize the upper surface of the coping to get another year or two out of it. We are in Pennsylvania so I'm afraid if I do nothing, the winter will take it's toll on the surface..

I know the best solution would be a complete replacement but we have a lot of other major repairs pending.. You know how it goes.. 5 grand here, 10 grand there.. pretty soon it starts adding up to real money..

Reply to
cgmsys

Just get some sanded grout, make a dry mix, and pack it into the voids. You can use unsanded grout as a skim layer to cover rough areas. Use an polymer modified type to get the best adhesion and workability. Very laborious so not practical except for limited areas of attention.

The Quikrete acrylic fortifier would make a fine, clear, paintable sealer right out of the jug. You don't need "concrete" paint. Any outdoor acrylic would do.

Forget Thompson's. That's just wax in mineral spirits.

If you want to make a serious effort of it, you can make your own mold to duplicate the existing cast coping stones. It's not that difficult to make concrete molds on a hobby basis. White portland cement is at Home Depot, mix with gravel and quartz sand to make your own white concrete.

Concrete should last forever. Not clear why your coping is disintegrating.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch