30 Guests in a Hot House

Page 1 of 2
Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC system?

First idea: Think "nude".
Second idea: Assuming the 30 is 15 male, 15 female or something close to that, the men should do the women a huge favor and go out someplace, like a bar, or ball game, or a bowling alley.
That way the AC will only have to keep half as many people cool and they'll be a lot more comfortable.
Remember, you're doing it for them.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Get some metal five gallon buckets and fill them half full with water, then put in enough liquid nitrogen to freeze the water and put them around the house, use as many as necessary.
Cactus Pete

First idea: Think "nude".
--
make some sofas and chairs out of 25lb blocks of ice? that might have an
impact on the above suggestion, no telling what would freeze off.

This is a great idea. All our guests are 300+ lbs, & over 66 years old.
I'll mention it.
Where can I send you a picture?
Thanks!
In return, may I send you a picture of my PC vomitting?
On a more useful note. without being there, I can't begin to diagnose your AC. The suggestion someone had of a portable cooling unit from a rental place. Sounds first rate.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Fleemo wrote:

Places like conventions, areas, and the like, get a head start by chilling the joint way down in advance. Humans generate a lot of heat.

get some dry ice - cool party effect from it too!

how about a couple cheap used window ACs? preferably from craigslist

When is the last time a real Pro check it out, 83f ? I mean I cant see it only did 83 new, and I wouldnt have paid for an AC that only did 83, nobody would. So you know for a fact that both coils are clean, freon is correct and it all checks out, I dont think so.
Fleemo wrote:

1 - Serve lemonade and other citrus drinks. Citrus has an amazing ability to increase heat tolerance. I can binge on lemonade a few days before I know I will have to be out in the heat, and I feel noticably cooler. try it.
2 - I have added a lubricant product to my home and auto A/C systems. It will immediately drop a car A/C almost 10 degrees. The house was good for 5 degrees. Since it's a heat pump, it made it warmer when I added it during the winter. The cold-natured wife noticed it immediately, the digital thermometer confirmed it. Product is called ICE-32.
3 - Set up a misting spray on your outside condenser fins. You can buy a misting kit for cheap at Home Depot and attached it around the top of the unit. Connect hose and turn it on low.
4 - Window units.
It's 100-deg today in Fort Worth. I feel your pain.
RB wrote:

Misting units should be used only temporarily. The junk in the water will eventually clog the condenser fins.
[snip]

I'm in east Texas (about as far south as Fort Worth). The central AC is running constantly during the day and not quite reaching the setpoint. Currently, it's still reasonably comfortable with ceiling fans. If it gets any hotter, I may stay in a bedroom with a window AC.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I may have missed part of this thread but it seems like a real good time for a general AC tune-up, including coil cleaning, filter change. and check/adjustment of refrigerant charge. If the unit is performing well, the other thing to do is attempt to reduce heat gain with drapes, insulation, caulking, and shading outside where possible. Awnings can help quite a bit.
Sunshine heat gain on the condenser amounts to very little since there is so much airflow. Ambient air temperature and amount of air flow are the controlling factors there. Misting can help but introduces potential problems due to corrosion and/or mineral deposit build up. Although it reduces the load on the compressor motor and thus saves a little electricity, I think reducing the condensing temperature and pressure can actually reduce the cooling because less pressure gives less refrigerant flow through the metering orfice, if you have that type system.
Don Young

Beer on ice and shirts against skins, gals are skins! Should make for an interesting combination!
Oh and a fan or three!
Rich
Thank you all for the most excellent suggestions, particularly the "nude" one. That'd put a whole new spin on the party. :D
Would a couple of vats of dry ice scattered around the house really help? It would add a "cool" vibe to the event.

Hey ransley, I've had at least a half-dozen pros check out my system. Usually they scratch their head and say, "I don't know why it's not cooling your house better" and then propose an entire new central heat and air system in the neighborhood of $10,000, which is why we're still limping along with it. I did replace the entire condenser which did little to improve the cooling. Yes the coils are clean and unobstructed. I also added several inches of insulation to the attic. Still, on above-90-degree days, my house is a sauna.
RB, a novice askin' this question, but where/how does one add ICE-32 to the coolant system? That sounds worth a shot. And your suggestion on the misting spray around the condenser fans got me thinking -- the condenser is in full sun during the hottest part of the day. Might it help to erect some kind of shade screen over it?
Again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Yes - A shade over the condensor area would help things a little, just don't block air flow. Misting the condensor coils also helps, but beware of doing this on a long-term basis as someone pointed out yesterday that the coils could get eroded or a buildup of junk if not cleaned regularly.
Fleemo wrote:

I got it from the place I work, which is an automotive house. The R22 treatment consist of adding the oil at 1-oz per ton of A/C. You get an injector that looks like a big syringe, common A/C tool for oil addition. You fill it up with oil to the proper mark, cap it, then connect the hose to the low side. Run the unit and inject the oil. You can literally see the temp drop as soon as it goes in, and it stays cool er indefinitely. Sounds like snake oil, but I can attest it has worked in every system I've used it in. You won't find many HVAC techs that will endorse it, because they have nver used it. But lately most automotive HVAC suppliers have a similar product, so it may be more mainstream in the residential HVAC now. google ICE32. I see that the residential product is now called ICE-22, which makes sense. Make sure that's what your unit uses.
http://www.ice22.com/benefits.html
And your suggestion

Can't hurt, but won't help much. Hard to do without reducing airflow.
Try the mister. It's cheap, easy, and it works. But don't use it all the time.
Fleemo wrote:

Open all the windows, put in a big fan in a windows and have everyone strip nude. See what pops up.
Fleemo wrote:

Call a rental place and see if they can supply you with a portable AC unit. The things come in all different sizes and configurations. It could be ducted through a window if need be.
http://www.kwikool.com/index.html
TDD