30 Guests in a Hot House

Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC system?

Reply to
Fleemo

First idea: Think "nude".

Second idea: Assuming the 30 is 15 male, 15 female or something close to that, the men should do the women a huge favor and go out someplace, like a bar, or ball game, or a bowling alley.

That way the AC will only have to keep half as many people cool and they'll be a lot more comfortable.

Remember, you're doing it for them.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Places like conventions, areas, and the like, get a head start by chilling the joint way down in advance. Humans generate a lot of heat.

Reply to
HeyBub

Get some metal five gallon buckets and fill them half full with water, then put in enough liquid nitrogen to freeze the water and put them around the house, use as many as necessary.

Cactus Pete

Reply to
Cactus Pete

First idea: Think "nude".

Reply to
charlie

Fleemo wrote in news:7ede0d91-1929-44ff-8d9e- snipped-for-privacy@q3g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

get some dry ice - cool party effect from it too!

Reply to
GoHabsGo

how about a couple cheap used window ACs? preferably from craigslist

Reply to
bob haller

When is the last time a real Pro check it out, 83f ? I mean I cant see it only did 83 new, and I wouldnt have paid for an AC that only did

83, nobody would. So you know for a fact that both coils are clean, freon is correct and it all checks out, I dont think so.
Reply to
ransley

1 - Serve lemonade and other citrus drinks. Citrus has an amazing ability to increase heat tolerance. I can binge on lemonade a few days before I know I will have to be out in the heat, and I feel noticably cooler. try it. 2 - I have added a lubricant product to my home and auto A/C systems. It will immediately drop a car A/C almost 10 degrees. The house was good for 5 degrees. Since it's a heat pump, it made it warmer when I added it during the winter. The cold-natured wife noticed it immediately, the digital thermometer confirmed it. Product is called ICE-32. 3 - Set up a misting spray on your outside condenser fins. You can buy a misting kit for cheap at Home Depot and attached it around the top of the unit. Connect hose and turn it on low. 4 - Window units.

It's 100-deg today in Fort Worth. I feel your pain.

Reply to
RB

Beer on ice and shirts against skins, gals are skins! Should make for an interesting combination!

Oh and a fan or three!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Open all the windows, put in a big fan in a windows and have everyone strip nude. See what pops up.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

Call a rental place and see if they can supply you with a portable AC unit. The things come in all different sizes and configurations. It could be ducted through a window if need be.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Thank you all for the most excellent suggestions, particularly the "nude" one. That'd put a whole new spin on the party. :D

Would a couple of vats of dry ice scattered around the house really help? It would add a "cool" vibe to the event.

Reply to
Fleemo

"Fleemo" wrote

Simple. 2 steps.

  1. warn them if this isnt a work party where her rep is important and it's all friends.
  2. if possible, ask that they bring a few extra floor stand fans (if a work party, invest in a few extras)

You really dont have time to replace AC or get an HVAC person out to check the AC before Sat.

If this is her 'Boss and Office' and she needs to 'look good' for job reasons, get a few floor fans and a possible added window unit or a portable floor standing AC. Otherwise, just tell the friends to dress cool and ask if any have a portable or a loaner floor fan for the event.

Heat tolerance is very relative to what you are used to. I dont bother with AC at 83F. What I am bothered by, is people who think 70F is the right temp so I normally bring a heavy sweater to 'shindigs' because otherwise I'll freeze my butt off!

Reply to
cshenk

Yes - A shade over the condensor area would help things a little, just don't block air flow. Misting the condensor coils also helps, but beware of doing this on a long-term basis as someone pointed out yesterday that the coils could get eroded or a buildup of junk if not cleaned regularly.

Reply to
hrhofmann

This is a great idea. All our guests are 300+ lbs, & over 66 years old.

I'll mention it.

Where can I send you a picture?

Thanks!

Reply to
Fleemo

If you have ceiling fans, be sure they are set to blow the air down (counter clockwise) and turn them on high. Moving air will feel a lot cooler.

Reply to
Mark

Misting units should be used only temporarily. The junk in the water will eventually clog the condenser fins.

Reply to
HeyBub
[snip]

I'm in east Texas (about as far south as Fort Worth). The central AC is running constantly during the day and not quite reaching the setpoint. Currently, it's still reasonably comfortable with ceiling fans. If it gets any hotter, I may stay in a bedroom with a window AC.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

In return, may I send you a picture of my PC vomitting?

On a more useful note. without being there, I can't begin to diagnose your AC. The suggestion someone had of a portable cooling unit from a rental place. Sounds first rate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon