3 wire pump voltage

I was reading an old thread in which the op posted some voltage reading. With the pump running, he had b-y 220v, r-y 220v, b-r 330v. This was 230v system with motor control.

b-y is the run circut and r-y is the start circut. I know that the

220v will stay on the start circut to manitain the coil and keep the start capacitor out of the circut. What I was wondering about is the 330v on the b-r. Can anyone please explain this? I've asked around and no one seems to know. Most said they've never checked this combination when testing a pump, just the run circut.

tia

Reply to
oldman960

The start winding is not in phase with the run winding so there is a voltage between them. (Same idea as 3 phase power.)

Reply to
bud--