3 whole house filters

I have installed 3 whole house water filters and am confused about this question.

The first filter is the cheap rust and big stuff 20 micron filter.

The second filter is the 5 micron charcoal taste and odor filter.

The 3 rd filter is the very expensive 1 micron filter, which I can't afford to buy, so I need your opinion.

Do I leave the 3rd filter empty or do I put two of the cheaper 5 micron filters in the 2nd and 3rd positions?

DK

Reply to
DK

I guess it depends on what you are fighting. I have a Lakos centrifugal as my primary, it gets the big chunks followed by 2 whole house in series and run the cheap string filters in both. I tried the expensive filters, but they left the water tasteless, and my well water tastes pretty good normally. The expensive ones filled up a little too fast for me, about 6 weeks and I began to lose pressure. The only reason I run the final filters at all is for the toilet valves and aerators, which seemed to clog a little too frequently for my liking. Since the install, nothing has acted up, so my battle is won.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I use a 20 and a 5; didn't even know they had 1s. I don't bother with a charcoal; it lasts about a day for me.

Reply to
Toller

I thought charcoal was primarily for chlorine? Assuming you're on a well, than you don't have that(I guess). Another disinfectant is Chlorimine, which is tougher to filter out(another non well related chemical).

I'm about to put in a well, and here's my uneduacated(at this point) attack on my water.

Softener for the big stuff(Lime/scale/calcium and other hard water makers) and a 3-tiered filter system. 20micron/5 micron, then at the kitchen sink an RO filter.

Reply to
cain.alan

This may vary depending on exactly what you are trying to filter out.

  1. 20 micron
  2. 5 or 10 micron
  3. move to where the kitchen and ice maker is fed and use the charcoal
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The correct order is

Well to filter bank 20/5

Filter bank to Softener - resin tied to well water specific characteristics

Softener to RO

And while you are at it, a whole house RO will only cost you $2500 to $3000 including the repressurization pump, and ALL faucets have great tasting water.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

Is one company's filter as good as another? In other words, if I go to Sears would I be foolish?

Reply to
C & E

In general Sears sells point of use filters. You MAY be able to find whole house filters there, but the question in my mind is can you find the fitler types that are needed?? Even talking to Home Depot and Lowes can be a problem as most of what they sell is point of use too.

Culligan, Rainsoft, and ANYONE in the water treatment biz full time can supply these filters, and the housings that go in them.

The one thing that Sears offers is convenience. You will pay for that convenience with an estimated price that is 30 to 50% more than street prices for the same. Street prices being about what you might pay to a pro on eBay or to a water treatment firm in your city.

Reply to
Robert Gammon