3 way wall switch

Can anyone help me make sense of a 3 way wall switch controling a ceiling fixture?? The power is through the switch.

Right now I have the switches connected and the light works, but something is wrong. When I toggle one switch on and then try the other, the light functions properly, but then if I toggle the switch again, the lights will not go on. I must have something crossed, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Any insight or wisdom would be appreciated. I know, I know........ call an electrician.

Thanks

NJwindsurfer

Reply to
jhemmens

Way too many ways a 3 way can be wired. Basically the feed (hot wire) goes to the point (dark screw) on the switch and the feed to the light goes to the point on the other switch. Damn! I should open a "Phone Consulation" business for things like this, because I can solve this problem over the phone, for a 50% of a service call.

snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net wrote:

Reply to
chuckster

Several ways it could be wired. All of them should be found here:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Here's another URL that might be of help:

Steve

The easiest way is to turn the power off and take loose both switches.

Only one wire of the 6 will be hot when you turn the power back on. (This is the switch leg feed)

Turn the power back off, and tie this wire to the screw terminal of the switch that is marked black. Connect the other two wires to the remaining two screws.

Turn the power back on and check the 3 wires at the other switch box. Two of these wires will be hot depending on the position of the other switch. When you find these two, the wire that never energized when you flipped the switch is the "return"

Turn the power back off and tie the "return" to the black colored screw of the switch. Then connect the other two wires to the other two terminals on the switch.

Reply to
Terry

Terry's iced it, but I want to make it a little clearer. Once you've figured out and rewired the first switch, and turned the power back on: One of the three wires on the other end will be live. Now flip the installed switch to the opposite position. You'll now find a different wire at the other end is live. Those two that became live are the travelers and the last wire goes on the "black" terminal

Reply to
RBM