3-way switches to ceiling fan and light?

I am trying to figure out how to (or if I can) wire a ceiling fan and light so that the fan and light are controlled separately -- and both are controlled from two different sets of switches at two different locations. The room has two doorways and I would like to be able to control the ceiling fan and light individually from a set of switches located near each of the doorways. This would be similar to having a ceiling light controlled by two 3-way switches, with one at each doorway, except that in this case I would like the switch sets to be able to control the ceiling fan and ceiling fan light separately from either doorway.

Here is the existing wiring configuration:

The power/feed goes to the first switch setup at doorway "1" with 12/2 wire; then 12/3 wire goes from there to the switch setup at doorway "2"; then 12/3 wire goes from there up to a ceiling light. In other words, the room is presently wired as a typical 3-way switch setup to a ceiling light, but the wiring going up to the existing ceiling light was prewired with 12/3 wire instead of 12/2 in case we ever wanted to replace the ceiling light with a ceiling fan/light. The ceiling box for the existing light was already installed using a ceiling fan box in case the light was ever changed to a ceiling fan/light fixture.

So, what I would like to do now is change the existing ceiling light to a ceiling fan/light, and change the switch setup at each doorway to be able to control the ceiling fan and ceiling individually from either doorway.

Is there a way to do this using the existing wiring that is now in place (without using any wireless/remote devices)? If so, how would I wire that?

Reply to
Jay-T

No.

You don't have enough conductors in the existing wiring. You need 5 conductors going from doorway 1 to doorway 2 (two travelers for each 3-way switch, plus neutral). The 12/3 from doorway 2 to the ceiling box is sufficient (one hot from each 3-way switch, plus neutral).

Further, it's likely that the existing switch boxes are not large enough to accomodate the additional two conductors.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not hard wired without pulling another 3 wire cable between the switch locations, but Casablanca makes Intellitouch 3 way controls for their fans, which would control both fan speed and light dimming from both locations

Reply to
RBM

Make sure the box is supported for a ceiling fan.

Most people get used to just using the pull chain for the fan. It is a very large honey dew weekend otherwise.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Thanks. I actually could pull another 3 wire cable between the switch locations without too much trouble. Both are above an open ceiling basement and are easily accessible from below.

So, in terms of wiring, would I then be thinking of the setup as being similar to having two 3-way switches for the fan (one at each doorway) and two 3-way switches for the light (also one at each doorway)?

Reply to
Jay-T

Thanks. If I did go ahead with that approach, what are now single switch boxes at each doorway would become double switch boxes at each location. So, that would solve the problem of the switch boxes not being large enough to accommodate the additional conductors.

Reply to
Jay-T

Yes, although I don't believe I've ever seen a 3way fan speed control

Reply to
RBM

ASSuming that he rewires it so he has switch leg wiring, why would he need a neutral between the two doorways? e.g. repull the feed so that it goes to the ceiling box instead of doorway 1, then leave the 12/3 to doorway 1, then you'd need 12/4 to doorway 2 for 3-ways for both fan and light. 12/3 from doorway 1 to doorway 2 to have control of lights at both doorways and control of fan only at doorway 1.

I'm not sure that I would bother with a 3-way fan control however. I think a 3-way for the light is a good idea but once you have the light on, you could walk over to the other door to turn on/off the fan.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Screw it. Get a remote control fan/light with multiple remotes.

Reply to
HeyBub

Thanks. It would not be too hard for me to pull a new cable from doorway 1 to doorway 2 if I decided to do that. That's because the room is over an open ceiling basement. But , running nay new wires from the switch up to the fixture would be very difficult and would require opening the wall and ceiling. So I definitely don't want to do that one.

Reply to
Jay-T

Thanks.

Reply to