3-way switch to outlet

I have a set of outdoor lights controlled by an outdoor timer switch and a three-way indoor switch. The timer has three wires: a black (common), a blue (connected to the white wire) and a red. The three-way switch has a black (common), a white, and a red, however, there was a short wire bridging the black and the white wires, which I thought was strange.
Questions: What is the short bridging wire on the three-way switch?
Would it be possible to replace the three-way switch with just an outlet? How would I wire the outlet?
The instructions for the timer say to cap the red if I'm just using a single switch.
Thanks.
Sounds like you've got an Intermatic wall switch timer there. The little bridging wire is necessary for the timer to work three way, which it does electronically. If, at the timer location, you have a feed( which consists of a hot leg and a neutral leg,which gives you 120 volt) and the pair of wires going to the light, you can take the three wires going to this remote switch out of the circuit. Next you can connect the black and white (which were on the switch to an outlet, and connect the other end of the same cable to your feed at the timer location (assuming you have a feed there) Last, insulate your red wire at both ends.
Note: The problem is that to wire a three way circuit you need: two switch locations with three wires between them, a feed,120 volt, and the wires going to the light. The feed and the wires going to the light could be in any location