3-way switch

Page 3 of 3
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 00:19:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Was it in 1974, when this house was built? Anyway, someone did it that way. I have one example of this "code violation". why couldn't there be others?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Yes. AFAIK, Code has *never* allowed switching the neutral.
--
Regards,

It sounds like you didn't, but you may have relied on the position on the swtich to match the position on the new switch. Some are arranged differently from others.
Another problem is that you say you plugged in the wires. It's better to wrap the wires around the screws than relying on the plugging in to work. You can use a little screwdriver in the hole next to the wire to release the grip, to remove the wire.
OTOH, I'm guessing it might not be gripping even a little and that would be the reason it's not working. In that case you might be able to pull the bad wire out. If that works, you can wrap the wire around the screw. If it starts to pull out but won't go all the way, you will probably have made it make contact well enough to work after all. Most people here will tell you that it's still best to removed all back-stabbed wires, but they're not as lazy or lethargic as I am.

Do all the lights have working bulbs?
If you mess up a 3way what commonly happens is one switch works and the other doesn't.