3-way LEDs... at last?

Page 2 of 3
On 12/24/2013 10:11 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

IMHO my garage, where the lights are not on much, is a poor place to use LEDs.
I wound up using ordinary 150W incandescents. I would have tried halogens if I would have found honest ratings.
On 12/25/2013 10:46 AM, bud-- wrote:

I wouldn't say "poor" - LEDs are a better choice than CFLs *especially* in a garage that may be partially heated or unheated. However, if you're using it as a "car and tool storage space" and not a workspace, that is, the lights are on generally only when you're pulling a car in or out or retrieving something and you're not spending a lot of time there, it may not be worth the money to use LEDs as the payback may not be as long as you own the home.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

That's true for almost all lights in my house. I was taught at an early age to turn lights off when I left a room. The only lights that stay on for any time are in the basement. I have CFLs there, and will convert to 4' tubes when I get some time.

I just have 4x100W bulbs (maxed out the fixtures). Two of those are in the GDO. If I need more light to work out there, I have a 3KW

philo wrote:

You didn't look hard enough. I've been using very good LG "A" type LED lamps that were ~$10ea, and recently installed a large number of $25 LED recessed can retrofits that are also performing beautifully. About 3 years ago LED lamps sucked, but not any more.
On 12/17/2013 10:32 AM, Pete C. wrote:

I looked very hard but only at one store.
Next time I go to a big box store I'll look again or maybe even order on line. Shipping is probably what I'd pay for gas anyway.
Glad to hear they are making good ones now.
On my job, we switched from incandescent pilot lamps to LED back in 1979.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE8CJwXSPRs

Like CFLs before them, they will be insanely expensive until large scale production ramps up. I recall the cheapest early CFLs at HD were $15, but Ikea had 'em for $4-7. Now they're a buck. Look around. I finally found my first cheapo 100W CFL at a Dollar Tree store, a couple yrs later.
nb

Early CFL's more like $30 . 20 year user.
Bought two light fixtures at THD. What luck. They came with bayonet CFL's. Had to switch the dam sockets.
Greg

Yes, that bayonet base is called a GU-24. They're required in California if the fixture manufacturer wants the fixture to be classified "high efficacy" or if the fixture is to be Energy Star qualified.
Tomsic
On 12/17/2013 03:28 PM, notbob wrote:

Actually IKEA is a good source for LEDs and I expect they will improve over time, as they've supposedly committed to LED technology and phasing out incans. The IKEA Ledare LED "bulb" is about $11 and has a nice high CRI (given on package as ">87") and is supposedly dimmable. In my opinion it is a special purpose bulb however as they advertise it as a "60W equivalent" which I consider to be flat out dishonest and fraudulent; it's only rated at 600 lumens making it a good replacement for a 40W incandescent bulb but not a 60W one.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 12/17/2013 9:52 AM, philo wrote:

I have a 12watt in the goose-neck lamp over my computer and it's color temperature is very close to an incandescent. It's supposed to be a 60watt equivalent and it does put out a lot of light. I've had it for a while and purchased it at Home Depot. I think it was around $20 but the price has come down since then. ^_^
TDD
philo wrote:

Just wait a while, CFLs were expensive when they first came out. The more (chinese) manufacturers, the cheaper they will be.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Oh, I don't know that it will take Chinese manufacturers to get the price down. Cree is doing a fine job and they build bulbs in the U.S.
Tomsic

If you live in CA the Cree True White are supposedly good. I scored some Philips L-Prizes at the $15 subsidized price while they were still available so I'm good for a while though.
I got a response from Lowe's CS about the three ways... disavowing all knowledge of them, despite the press release and a few CPF members reporting seeing them on the shelves (all in CA however, I'm on the east coast.)

The CREE LED 60W replacement bulbs are only $10 at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-A19- Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-BA19-08027OMF-12DE26-2U100/204592770#.UrG1Oyez6R4

Coming up. Lots of new LED bulb products are being rolled out in 2014 according to the LED newsletters.
Tomsic

I bought some reasonable priced and quality LED GU 10 bulbs form Amazon before, just around$9, and I think you can find more cheap and quality lights here http://www.lightingever.com/
On 12/17/13 7:59 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Amazon lists some but they are out of stock. http://tinyurl.com/p538nb9 30/60/75 equivalent
On 12/17/13 7:59 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

reported

above

guys

not

Don't feel guilty. Incand are safe and clean. CFL contain mercury. If you read the warmings on the boxes, you're supposed to dispose of them at a hazmat disposal sites. I'm sure 99% of those using them just toss them in the trash. CLF's also are easier to break with installing and removing them.
On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 18:01:47 -0600, Dean Hoffman

I don't miss that. I still have a couple of hundred stored in the basement. At the rate I go through them, they should last my lifetime.