3 prong outlet, which way is up?

I would have to guess the other way looks stupid because nearly every one is installed the other way.
There are only two arguments that seem to make sense.
Ground up, does appear to have a slight safety advantage. Notice I did say SLIGHT.
Ground up does not work well with all plugs (then again ground down does not work well with some other plugs.)
I don't intend to loose sleep over it, but all my plugs that get added or worked on are ground up.
Is that the opposite of "sleep tight"?

I prefer the ground at the bottom. All outlets should have the same orientation.

Discussions here have centered around ground down, except when the outlet is on a wall switch. I doubt most people would know that code if they didn't own the home when it was under construction, but those who pay attention could notice the difference and ask or figure it out.
I have 3 receptacles on wall switches. I should check them..... The one I can get to is ground down, like the other outlets in the house. That's what happens when the electrician is a durn furiner.

I read that here too, and is my nature, I believe things when I first hear them. But in my life, I've only dropped coins in the middle of the bedroom when I take off my pants, and off the front edge of kitchen table. I also don't have any loosely plugged in plugs, and if I did, I can't imagine a coin getting in one.

The reasoning I heard was that if you use metal cover plates and the screw that secures the cover plate comes loose, the cover could actually slide down and if you weren't paying attention could hit the prongs of a plug as it's being removed. With the ground up this is harmless; with the ground down you could energize the cover plate and/ or short the hot and neutral prongs of the plug if it fell just so. An infinetesimally rare possibility, but a non-zero one.
nate

Each of the four switched outlets in my house are ground up. The bottom receptacle is on the switch and the top one is hot. The switch was indicated by a small sticker on the switch (until folks get use to the new house).
By visually looking I know they are switched, so treating repairs accordingly.
New stone in the mix: Does the ground go into the center?
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/images/uploads/03.30.acenti.jpg
john wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg/800px-Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg
I like my outlets on the floor. The ones on the counter are sideways.
--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:27:45 -0400, Claude Hopper

Oh-oh. Now which way should they be oriented? North (up on a map)? Toward the power company? Toward Mecca?
You better do it right or you may get called stupid.
[snip]

The correct orientation is pointing toward the place you get coffee.

john posted for all of us...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg/800px-Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg
What is this? About the 3 billionth time this has been discussed?
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

So what? Tony

posted for all of us...

Laziness! Do your research prior to posting...
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

At least it wasn't 3 billion times in one day. I've seen stuff like that on another group.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I may have reached the _End of the Internet_ already.
I gleaned most of it, not worrying about 50 thousand missed messages.

Years ago I worked at a factory where the electricians were required to install all outlets ground up. I was told that since there was more of a chance that a metal object would come in contact with a loose plug from the top than from the bottom, and since in the vast majority of the installations the type of cord would not be an issue, they opted for the "safer" method.
In other words, if it makes the factory just a tad bit safer, and really has no other impact (other then writing it up in the procedure manual) then why not?

I agree.
Or at least I did until most of the el-cheapo stuff such as wall warts, night lights, air fresheners, shaver and cell phone chargers etc. etc. etc. all the ancillary gear we seem to have to plug in these days, seem to be ground pin down!
Also thinking; if and when I ever finish off and wire my basement area, I will install two duplex outlets in each location and one will be UP and the other DOWN.
However will probably then find then that things plugged into one duplex outlet will interfere with things plugged into t'other adjacent duplex!
It's probably this confusion and the increasing number of 'gadgets' that has lead the profusion of cheap and in some cases very nasty 'power bars' into which we then plug, even more, higgledy-piggledy too many of the power supplies for the various gadgets..

None of the "wall warts, night lights, air fresheners, shaver and cell phone chargers" that I own have ground pins.

But some may have polarized plugs, thus essentially being the same thing.
nate
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:51:39 -0700 (PDT), terry

I have found a few wall warts with plugs that are L shaped so they are parallel to the floor and don't block another outlet. These have to be very light though.
I don't know why they don't just add a piggyback to the big ones. Actually I do know the rea$on, but it would make everyone's life easier.

It's not necessarily safer. One of the biggest dangers is fires caused by heat from loose connections. Anything that increases the odds of bringing your attention to a loose connection is likely to be safer for that reason, even if it results in a short and a circuit breaker tripping.
john wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg/800px-Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg
Get the recessed outlets, like they use for mounting clocks, then no matter what slides down the walls - from pennies to drunk relatives - there will be no hazard at all.