3 prong outlet, which way is up?

Page 3 of 6

On 8/29/2008 8:50 AM Rich256 spake thus:

There you have it. I think this one data point is enough to tilt the argument in favor of ground pin up. Since it's otherwise arbitrary, why not do the safer thing?
So far as the orientation of 90 plugs goes, I've seen them made both ways, so it really doesn't matter which way you put the outlet: the plug is going to be going the wrong way half the time anyhow.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
It's soooooooooo far fetched, it's doubtful it actually happened.

Someone here has already given an iron clad example.
In hospitals and most commercial buildings, the outlet covers are stainless steel. In these buildings there is constant construction going on. Cover screws can work loose from vibration.
Up is better, and required in patient care areas, because of falling metal objects. ie surgical trays, surgical instruments, paper clips and yes, coat hangers.
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:18:24 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

Good thing you didn't have pennies behind fuses.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:07:02 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
Calling someone stupid for asking a question is...stupid.
I didn't call anyone stupid. I said upside down outlets look stupid. And they do.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:02:01 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

"upside down" is the direction opposite the direction opposite the direction ...
While "down" is the direction things move in when not restrained or pushed. True, but unhelpful :-)

When was anyone called stupid? He just said the other way looks stupid.
OK, he insulted a duplex outlet just because it's orientation is different. In some states it is a Hate Crime to discriminate because of orientation. He should expect to be served with a lawsuit from the National Brotherhood of Duplex Outlets shortly.

Get a wall plug :-)
He says the outlets look stupid, not the poster. How stupid of me to waste my time on such a stupid reply to a stupid comment. This whole usene group has gone stupid. Do you think? Yes. Now, stupid, I'm stupidly talking to myself. That's stupid.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Also to be considered is that plugs mounted 90 degrees to the cord don't work very well with ground at the top.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:23:16 -0500, "Rick Brandt"

They do if the appliance is mounted on the wall above the receptacle (like an air conditioner). Actually, I did install an air conditioner recently. The plug was at a right angle so it went up from the receptacle.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

My refrig power cord definitely wants the ground DOWN.
And until I start seeing power cords that are designed for ground UP, then all my grounds will be DOWN.
My grounds will always be down for the rest of my life. if a cord doesn't cooperate, then I'll change the plug on the end of it.

Duff wrote:

re: And until I start seeing power cords that are designed for ground UP, then all my grounds will be DOWN.
You can see one here. This is an extension cord but I have the same type of plug on my freezer.
http://tinyurl.com/6owe4e

Most cords are made for ground down; you're right. Not all, however and window ac units seem to be one I see all the time that are different. The refrigerator is that way, IMO, because those outlets are usually high on the wall and not near the floor. Many cords have the gnd prong closest to the equipment on the cords if you should keep track.
So, if ground up is now the correct way to go, those 90-degree plugs should start to be made where the ground on the plug would be up while the cord hangs down along the wall. I wonder if we'll see that happen, or at least be an available option when buying them.

Direct quote from the NEC I bet :-)