3 prong outlet, which way is up?

Page 2 of 6
Think of the instablity of the planet's orbit if we put the sockets in upside down. Tidal waves, hurricanes, and thousands could die.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Maybe they changed to code again, but as far as I knew it did not matter which way they were installed. I always put the ground on the bottom. They just look stupid the other way. They will work either way. But the code is what dictates....
Jim

Considering that's the way you're used to, AND NOTHING ELSE?
BTW, I think neckties look stupid, and have more supporting evidence than that.

When my Dad was much younger, he was stringing a bare wire in the cellar, and dropped it. By friek chance, it fell across the two blades of a plugged in, ungrounded plug. He said that really made a memory for him. I wasn't there, wasn't yet born. But it left a memory for me.
Put the ground at top, it provides some small protection from the small risk of dropping a metal something across the energized flat blades.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have mine with the ground to the right This puts the hot up , standard around here.
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:14:33 -0500, Mike Dobony

I can't believe they made the code that way when it looks so stupid.
On 8/30/2008 10:14 AM Square Peg spake thus:

Why do you think it looks stupid--because you're used to seeing it the other way around? Sheesh, it's a thing with a bunch of holes in it. There's no "natural" orientation.
Get used to it.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I

To some people, safety is more important than a ridiculously distorted sense of esthetics.

Looks will have nothing to do with it. Safety and protection harm will be the reasons, if that contention is a fact.

SAY what? Please cite section/para. Proposed changes, anything to verify that from any good source.
IEEE thinking is ground down, so if it "falls out"the ground is the last connection to break. And at work wherever I've worked I've never noticed plugs installed in any particular orientation. In fact, that's where I got my idea to check what's going to plug into it, and orient it to what the plug might suggest. Another bldg I saw, they used cable ties to tie the cord to the conduit so it couldn't be pulled on/out etc.
TIA for the references; it'd be nice if they did settle that out once and for all,
Twayne

re: Another bldg I saw, they used cable ties to tie the cord to the conduit so it couldn't be pulled on/out etc.
Obviously I don't know the specific situation that you speak of, but this could be a safety issue.
I once got hung up on a 400 VDC power supply and if a co-worker hadn't been able to unplug it, I wouldn't be posting this right now.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hi, 400V DC? Is that considered HV? In my working days I sued to deal with 27KV DC. THat is HV! While one is working another guy stands by in case. That was rule.

Ask a lineman if 480V is high voltage. :)

re: 400V DC? Is that considered HV?
Hmm....let me look back at my post and see where it was that I called 400V DC "HV"...
Looking... Looking... Still looking... Looking some more...
It seems I'm having a little trouble finding it.
I wonder if that's because I never said, or even implied, that it was HV.
re: In my working days I sued to deal with 27KV DC.
You must have really wanted to work with HV if you sued to deal with it.
re: While one is working another guy stands by in case
Spent a lot time watching other people work, didn't you?

Horizontally. Then everybody can obsess about trivialities. Geesh!

Ground left or right? Please advise.

Left, so the neutral is up. (following the same reasoning that would indicate that the ground should be up when installed vertically.)
nate

No advice, but decide how this one goes in :-)
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/images/uploads/03.30.acenti.jpg
(grin)

Preferred orientation then is on the left. More info page 240, Traister's ' Electrical Wiring' ISBN1-57218-092-7 at your local library. The Pass & Seymour/Legrand product catalog shows all receptacles in the vertical mode with ground at top. Note the ground position on receptacles at a hospital next time you visit...grounds at top.
Joe
I never paid much attention but just a couple months ago a metal hangar fell behind a dresser. There was a big flash and a breaker blew. The plug behind the dresser was not plugged in all the way and luck would have it the hanger shorted out the contacts.