3 prong outlet, which way is up?

Page 1 of 6

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?
Should it be
ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg/800px-Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg
or
ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/00/34/23433400.jpg
?
The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely plugged in plug.

Ground down. How often do dropped coins slide down a wall?
PanHandler wrote:

Yea, I have a pile of burnt coins on the floor. I'll have to turn my plugs ground up.
--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:26:24 -0400, Claude Hopper

The coins are supposed to go in the fuse box :-)
Harry L posted for all of us...

bwaaaa good one!
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Why bother to have the plugs ground up? It's easier to have the burnt coins ground up. Just use a grinder.

The real problem is when one of your fingers slides down the wall.
And having one of those non-trip breakers doesn't help either.
Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg/800px-Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg
On Aug 28, 6:07pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

But little kids dont think its a face. When my daughter was little the only outlet in her room that she could see frightened her until I turned it with the ground up.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

Yahbut, it's good that little kids are frightened of outlets? Perhaps you should've plugged in those little plastic 'childproofers' into the outlets to disguise them? <g>
Magic marker a smile on the plastic outlet insert.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
But little kids dont think its a face. When my daughter was little the only outlet in her room that she could see frightened her until I turned it with the ground up.
Jimmie
On Aug 28, 9:00pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

Steve,
Thank you for the link to the Two Rivers Hospital site, but I couldn't find anything about ground-prong orientation on any of their pages. I even checked the FAQ - nothing there about receptacle installation.
Oh, gotta go. The short bus just pulled up. I'll read your response later.
D*mn, where's my helmet?
i meant for your daughter who is afraid of an inanimate object.
Steve,
Thank you for the link to the Two Rivers Hospital site, but I couldn't find anything about ground-prong orientation on any of their pages. I even checked the FAQ - nothing there about receptacle installation.
Oh, gotta go. The short bus just pulled up. I'll read your response later.
D*mn, where's my helmet?
On Aug 29, 12:12pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

It wasn't my daughter...that was somebody else.
Guess you didn't get the short bus/helmet reference.
I got it.

It wasn't my daughter...that was somebody else.
Guess you didn't get the short bus/helmet reference.
On 8/28/2008 3:07 PM Steve Barker DLT spake thus:

That's probably as good as answer as any (basically, "it's completely arbitrary, so orient it the way 99% of other outlets are oriented".)
However, there are good reasons to put them in "upside down" (i.e., ground pin up). Last time I was in a hospital, I noticed that almost all the outlets were "upside down", and later heard/read that this is to prevent sparks and shocks should a metal implement fall down along the wall and contact a plug in an outlet. Makes sense. I'm even starting to put in some outlets this way.
Oh, and I've also noticed that having the ground pin on top tends to hold 3-prong plugs in the outlet more tightly and resist the plug falling out, like when you're using an extension cord and tug on it.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:13:51 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Ground up is industrial code and this year's revision also calls for ground up on residential.
Mike Dobony wrote:

Good info. Thanks.
Lou
LouB wrote:

caution -- that is true for this N hemisphere only. think coriolis effect guys!