3 Piece Bathtub - Bathroom remodel questions

Hi All:
We are planning on re-doing our bathroom. We would like to add a three piece tub and enclosure. (One peice would be better, but it wont fit in the older house).
All of the three-piece tub enclosures we have looked at vary from 84-86 inches.
The issue: Our 1.5 story house has low ceilings in the bathroom. We only have ~81 inches clearance.
I was wondering if anyone has ever installed, or might have some feedback on intalling ONLY the first TWO pieces of the enclousure - ie the tub portion, and wall portions.
Since the upper portion (basically the ceiling and 8 inches or so that meet up with the wall portion) wouldnt fit, Im considering adding tiles for the final 8 inches or so up the the ceiling. And of course caulking it good :).
Any comments? Think this will work? (Hopefully im explaning what I want to do well).
Thanks
Have you checked with the companies that cover your old stuff with new enclosures? Seems a lot easier than messing up with something that doesn't fit.

Check out Aker (maax) products, they have a wide variety of units that will work. The top(cap) is an optional add-on, which you don't need. I had helped put in dozens of these over the years. Check the installation PDF's, the walls get screwed to the studs, and the wall board goes over the lip of tub walls. You do have to make sure your walls for tub unit are shimmed plumb, especially if you use an enclosure.
http://www.maax.com/en/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?CodeCategory=B&Brand=7&ProductType=3&Product 4
http://www.maax.com/en/Products/BrandList.aspx?CodeCategory=B
Had a friend get a one piece in thru a window frame, he removed and reinstalled the window.
one piee is way better if you can get it into the location

Look at Lasco Products. This one is 3 piece: http://www.lascobathware.com/browse.pl?line=2&model 03-3P&series
I was able to get this into my upstairs bathroom that has slanty walls.
I considered one of those units in my bathroom in my basement
Ultimately I decided against them because they are so flimsy/cheap looking.
If you can do the work yourself, for the price of the tub and cheap tile it might be cheaper than to get a custom shower enclosure.
I know installing tile isnt exactly fun times, but in the end it really
does look MUCH better than plastic walls.

unless you don't like tile.