3 more HVAC questions, (oil furnace)

1) What do you know about Thermo-Pride oil furnaces? Model OH5-85 if that helps.

2) How do Riello oil burners compare to Becket in quality, or any other factor that might matter to me?

Even if they are better, would I be better off with a Becket since they are so much more common and better known to servicemen, and probably easier to get parts? (The only parts I've ever needed are nozzles and much less often, electrodes, but maybe I was lucky.)

3) Silly question but my evaporator case has lips on two sides that are used to screw it to the furnace**, but the pictures of Goodman evap-cases show no lips. Is it glues on or what? :-) That is, can I buy an evap as wide as the furnace is?

**Strangely, one side is not exactly staight and -- I wish I'd noticed this earlier -- air blows out between the furnace and the pleneum when the furnace is on. Strangely, it's cool air!

btw, The depth of all the Goodman 2.5 ton cased coils is 21 inches, and the width varies from 14 to 21. (Up to 24.5 for more tons) Now, which dimension is which?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
mm

Sorry. The last sentence was a note to myself. I'll figure out whether the narrow dimension the side where the lines come out, or the wide.

Unless you guys know.

Reply to
mm

Okay, the openings come out the Width side, which varies from 14 to

  1. The other dimension is always 21, which is 1 inch longer than the width of some furnaces. Is this such a big problem? I can have it overhang the furnace by one inch and just screw a 1.5" piece of galvanized sheet metal under the open inch.

I can caulk it with that 3M Fire Block or Fire Barrier that was written abouth here.

Then I can have the openings on the side where they are now.

Won't that work as well as in front?

Reply to
mm

Yes. That's exactly how they work unless you need to use a bigger coil/case than the furnace dimensions, which is the exception. They come with small angle iron that gets screwed to the top of the furnace. The case then sits in that frame you just created and then gets screwed in from the side.

The depth is what we would call front to back and is the same across many furnaces in the same product line. The width varies based on the furnace capacity within that line.

Reply to
trader4

Wonderful. That will look nice.

Wonderful.