3 handle style shower diverter

Okay, I've gotten myself into a jam that I can't seem to figure out.
I'm removing the diverter in my shower (handle style, not tub spout) to fix a leak. So I removed the handle, removed a nut inside the assembly with a plumber's socket. And let me just add something here - 27/32????? Who in the hell thought that was a good sizing for the nut! <calm down> Okay, so anyway I removed the top nut with the socket, but the problem is there is a second nut under it, larger in diameter that the first nut screwed into. What do I need to do to remove the diverter if I want to clear and/or replace it? I can't get my socket around it because it is almost flush with the pipe surrounding it. Does the pipe covering it come off, it didn't seem like it unless I just need to yank REAL hard. If the pipe comes off, then what's the point of the plumber's socket?
Anyway, how does this thing come out?
Well at least I can put it all back together until someone is kind enough to explain how the diverter is put together.
Eigenvector wrote:

You'll need a mfr name or pics of the unit.
Do a Search (or post new query) here:\\ http://www.terrylove.com/forums/archive/index.php?f-5.html

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/plumbinginmynewhouse/large/P6100003.JPG
Pretty good pic considering the angle and lighting issue.
Where does the manufacturer put the model number and such on appliances like this? Are faucets pretty much known only by the manufacturer and the model is irrelevant?
Eigenvector wrote:

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/plumbinginmynewhouse/large/P6100003.JPG
Yes, that inner "pipe" should come out; I'm guessing it unscrews. The outer "flanged" piece may unscrew too. Doing it without damage may be a problem. I would think of stuffing a deep socket inside the pipe to prevent it being crushed while turning the outside with wrench/plier. Maybe wrap with heavy cloth/plastic.
Each mfr had distinct ways of doing things, thus the dozens and dozens of faucet varieties.

Yes, in my PF, the outer trim piece unscrews. This gives much more room to get at the inner valve workings.
lee

2 brass nuts?
I'll give it a shot tommorrow, I don't want to risk busting something then not being able to take a shower right before I go to work.

The outermost piece with the shiny finish that extends back and flares out on the shower wall. It was only hand tight in my experience.
lee