3-D Printing

Somewhere in this NG there was a discussion on the maturity of 3-D printing - but I can't find it.

To cut to the chase: The Economist mag had an article on it fairly recently:

(PeteCresswell)

The problem with most is the cost of the "ink". I thought of "printing" some replacement casters for our refrigerator but it would have been way too costly (for something so "generic") and hard to get the smoothness that an injection molded part could afford.

OTOH, if you're going to be someplace where raw materials are hard to come by and/or stock (e.g., ISS), then being able to use one feed stock for a wide variety of products can be a HUGE win!

Reply to
Don Y

Sometimes you need to consider the 3d printed part more as a casting than a finished part - some minor finish machining necessary.

Reply to
clare

Isn't there a law against that?

Reply to