$ 3,845.00 Tool Kit, Just What Everyone Needs For Home Repair

Page 2 of 2
On 12-15-2013, 17:58, The Daring Dufas wrote:

OK, the tools have to be non-magnetic, so I understand a higher price. But THAT price is completely ridiculous.
--
Wes Groleau

Words of the Wild Wes
On 12/16/2013 12:22 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Tools: $400.00
Siemens name: $3000.00
:-)

Siemens name $1000, insurance to cover liability if something goes wrong and totals a multi-million dollar MRI $2000. (grin)
--
“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.”
On 12/16/2013 5:40 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I made a post about the screws, nuts and bolts requiring a stack of paperwork if made for medical equipment. Like the hardware, the tools probably have to have a paperwork trail for insurance purposes because medical malpractice lawyers will go after anyyone who had contact with the equipment including the guy who made the darn labels stuck on the back of the machine. o_O
TDD
On 12/16/2013 5:40 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

What are the tax write-off implications?
On 12-16-2013, 01:59, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

Shipping $445.00 ?
--
Wes Groleau

He that is good for making excuses, is seldom good for anything else.
On 12/16/2013 9:58 PM, Wes Groleau wrote: .

LOL! Stop being so anal, you are hurting me.
On 12/16/2013 11:52 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

Ummm, that reads a bit weird there my friend. o_O
TDD
On 12-17-2013, 00:52, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

Every time I see "I ANAL" on Usenet, I am impressed that they are admitting it.
On 12/16/2013 12:59 AM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

OK, the tools have to be non-magnetic, so I understand a higher price.

You could always purchase "Harley Davidson" brand tools. ^_^
TDD
On 12/16/2013 12:22 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:

A friend of mine who worked on X-ray machines told me that a bolt or screw that could be bought at any hardware store for ten cents, was $10 if it was for an X-ray machine because the paperwork outweighed the piece of hardware. Like aerospace/military hardware, it had to be approved and tested along with a paperwork trail. Perhaps he was exaggerating but it was believable. If anyone reading the group has experience working on medical equipment please chime in because my experience is limited older not hospital owned equipment. I have repaired an ultrasound machine for my doctor friend and it was an interesting piece of gear. ^_^
TDD

That's the list price, but nobody pays list. Well, if an individual approached them about buying one item, that person would probably be charged list.
The actual price will vary, depending on who's buying it.
As for why it costs so much, if for legal purposes the tools or parts must be sourced from only certified suppliers, and the market for those materials is limited, then yeah, even seemingly routine stuff is going to be pretty spendy, compared to the standard retail market. But it's an entirely different market, with different requirements. You wouldn't want to risk cheap Chinese counterfeit parts getting installed into an MRI, for instance.
Selling this stuff is within my brother's line of work, and boy, has he got stories. One of his favorites has to do with a major domestic manufacturer who asked him for a quote on a replacement breaker for their plant. Those suckers are massive, since they're industrial, and priced accordingly. So, one genuine US-built and certified breaker, sized such and such - $6000.00.
My brother had an exclusive contract with the plant that built the breakers. Nobody, not even the plant, could sell them for less than my brother's price, so he knew he had no competition and was certain he had the sale. But then the head engineer at this manufacturing plant told him they were going with the low bidder. My brother was floored. _What_ low bidder, he asked. Well . . . the engineer at this plant told him that the local hardware store had put in a bid. They'd offered the very same breaker for less than a thousand bucks.
Now, there's no way a local hardware store would stock or even be able to procure these things. Plus, the price was impossible. My brother knew the cost to manufacture these, and if the breaker was legit, they would lose thousands of dollars on the sale. He advised the engineer of this, and warned him that the breaker had to be counterfeit. The engineer blew him off. My brother said, okay then - but if you have trouble with it, take it up with the hardware store, because it didn't come from me, and my source says it didn't come from them, either.
You can write the ending to the tale, natch: breaker failed in very short order. The head engineer went to my brother for help, but he couldn't provide any documentation to prove it had been produced by the domestic plant that supposedly built it. Too bad, so sad - you'll have to ask your local hardware store guy if he can fix or replace it.

It costs so much because of the titanium metals used to make all the tools. Small production runs, expensive materials & engineering.
These tools are all designed to work in 3 Tesla magnetic environments.
BTW you can find them cheaper than interconn1978 if you look around a bit.