3/8" Stainless: Cutting Threads w/Garden-Variety Die?

Probably Sears Craftsman.

I need another inch of threads on a couple of 3/8" SS bolts.

The make/buy decision is to try to extend the existing threads using a garden-variety die or to bite the bullet and drive to Home Depot and spend a few bucks on two longer bolts.

A little voice in the back of my head says that trying to cut that stainless is going to toast the die... and I might as well buy the longer bolts.

??

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Use plenty of lube and go slow . Crisco works ... The biggest problem with SS is work hardening , be sure to back the die off every quarter-turn to break the chip off . Good luck !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

If this was my job, I'd just buy the proper bolts. Time is money and dies ar not cheap!

Reply to
Paintedcow

How far is the drive? :>

Our local ACE stocks SS hardware. But, it's almost exactly the same driving distance as HD (or Lowe's, for that matter!)

Reply to
Don Y

Per snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo:

Yeah, that's my take...

So: Case Closed.... Home Depot, here I come.

Thanks.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Many bolts have the threads rolled into the metal so that the threads stand up from the shank rather than being cut into the shank. The shank on rolled thread bolts is too small to cut threads into it.

Reply to
EXT

yes thats been a issue for me too........

Reply to
bob haller

Never busted a die on anything (a set of Craftsman metric and SAE) but have left busted taps in the worst places possible :-( As Dr. Ruth used to say: "My advice to you.....buy the bolts"

Reply to
Shade Tree Guy