3/4" water main meter valves

the water company is coming out to replace their old meter. I think I will replace the valves that leak when turned off at the same time.

I have two, one coming from the water "main" and one right after the meter.

Here's the one from the "main"

[IMG]
or
and here's the one from the meter: [IMG]
or
I was hoping to get some advice on what would be a "lifetime" replacement valve?

And also, these looked like threaded valves. So maybe some "pipe dope" is appropriate?

The water company will NOT replace anything other than the meter. I already asked. But, the valves can only be replaced once the water at the street is turned off.

I need to able to have all the tools and hardware to do the "job". This is where I come for advice.

Please let me know if these photos don't show. Basically it's 3/4" copper valves taking up about 2 1/4" of pipe length. And it looks threaded on both sides. So, that would be the "standard" thread?

Reply to
ng_reader

Visit a hardware store and find out if they carry a new packing nut and packing for the valve. You don't need to replace the entire valve body if you just have a stem leak. Or you may just need to tighten the packing nut a little if you haven't done so.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

It does not look like you have room to spin new ones on? Looks to me like the baseboard heat is going to be in the way. Unless you remove the core. Drunk Jeff is right, usually a slight turn on the top is all it takes to stop these valves from leaking around the stem when the are closed. Or replacing the packing at the top. I find that after aging most of them leak around the stem when closed so I don't bother fixing them. By the time I need to close them again they have started leaking anyway.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:57:39 -0400, ng_reader wrote Re 3/4" water main meter valves:

I would use a 3/4" brass ball-valve, something like this

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I agree, for infrequent operation the ball valves are less likely to leak with age. Plus they have much less restriction than other types. But in his case I'd just try tightening the stem caps a bit first.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

NOW, to answer your question, since no one else did. Yes, you'll need some pipe dope, and as for the valves, get you some good brass and stainless ball valves. Lifetime? who's? But the ball valves will outlast you if that's what you mean. Are the water meter guys gonna be willing for you to jack around with this when they can probably pop that new meter in there in about 5 minutes?

Reply to
Steve Barker

The consensus I've seen here would lean toward ball valves. I used "full flow" valves, which seem to have a larger passage.

You'll probably need a short chunk of spare pipe, torch, and the appropriate fittings, and pipe dope, plus tube cutter, wrenches, solder and flux. I've recently started using both pipe dope and teflon tape, and have had better results with that.

You might want to just learn how to turn off the water at the street, so you can work at your convenience. Chances are, the new meter fits exactly, so they probably don't take long to do the job.

Reply to
Bob F

Aye you are prolly right about the meter guys. It's true, the valves don't leak when open. So, maybe a repack is in order. A youtube video just had some guy wind teflon tape around underneath the nut. This, I presume, took the place of some kind of graphite wire that I'd seen on another youtube video. I have tons of tape, maybe I'll use the yellow gas tape as it's a little thicker.

The meter guys is coming on a saturday, so, I don't know how "rush rush" it could be.

Reply to
ng_reader

The valve the OP has, is what's called a "globe" valve. The design of the valve isn't very good, the water has to make two right angle turns. If I remember from my old days, the valve is equivilant reistance, the same as 70 feet of pipe. The ball valve you picture has much less water flow resistance.

I'm with you, sir. The ball valve is the way to go.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As to the pipe dope. Please buy some good name brand white teflon tape, and a wire bush also. While the threads are exposed, wire brush them till they are clean. Wrap the male (threads on the outside) threads with two or three wraps of teflon tape. Pull the tape to break it off. Then, coat the teflon with Rectorseal #5 non hardening. Wrench the new valve on, and don't bother to wipe off the excess rectorseal.

The water meter guys may wait around -- they get paid by the hour.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I cannot detect any problem with water pressure. Not like London where you have to put the tank on the roof so gravity is what drives pressure.

Reply to
ng_reader

If you are satisfied, that's what counts. I hope the water meter people are cooperative, and let you swap out the valve. That would be very friendly of them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

SharkBite Ball Valves

Anybody? Once, twice, sold.

Oren

that'd be real fine if he were working on something he could use them on.

Reply to
Steve Barker

ROFL... Guy... Seriously... Unless you can do your "repairs" in less than the 10 minutes swapping out the water meter will take, you need to have a plumber come on the same day at the same time to have everything ready for when the water department crew takes the meter out to replace it...

Otherwise you will find that your water will be off for a lot longer than you think because the water department crew will leave you to play with your pipes and valves and you had better be done when they return later in the day... They WILL NOT stand there and wait while you putter around with repairing something...

The questions you have asked and the way you have replied leads me to believe that this is beyond your skill level so you should call a plumber now rather than when you didn't do it right and your water has to be left shut off in the street overnight while you place an emergency call to a plumber and have to pay the water department to come turn it back on...

Make use of the FREE disconnection by having a skilled plumber on hand who can accomplish the needed repairs or replacement in a speedy manner while the water is shut off...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Just watch to make sure you can turn off the water at the street.

Reply to
Bob F

-snip-

My meter just got replaced a month ago. The old one was 45years old according to the guy who changed it. The girl who made the appointment said to allow 30 minutes- 15 without water. He laughed.

It was closer to 8 minutes in the basement- including conversations--and we were without water for less than 5.

He didn't shut the water off at the street. When I told him the valve needed packing the last 3 times I used it, he grimaced & said he might get wet.

[turns out finally got the packing right and it was fine this time]

Our entire town just had the meters done by an out-of-town firm that does nothing but change meters- YMMV- but my guy would not have taken an extra 5 minutes.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Well clearly if the water doesn't get shut off at the street, I'm hosed. Pun intended.

+++

But, the powers of persuasion can be powerful, and I'd betcha he comes with that "key" to close the valve at the street.

Legally, this guy is setting foot inside my house. I think that provides me just a tad more leverage than if the service were done outside or at the street....

Reply to
ng_reader

Unfortunately sometimes you need a special long tool to turn valves under street covers. I'd be out there to watch that so you see what cover you are on and how far down the valve is. And you don't have much leverage at all. You want water.

However of all you are doing is tightening the caps then it won't matter. You could do that now. If you plan on replacing the packing then all you need to do is the first valve. You can do the valve downstream from the meter anytime. Have you got replacement packing for that valve? They definitely are not going to wait for you to go to the hardware store.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I wouldn't bet on "leverage" on the person who changes the meter. As others have said, they want to get in and out in minimum time.

There is no reason to shut off the water at the street to change the meter. That is what the valves on each side of the meter are for.

If you want the water off to change the valves, I suggest calling the water utility to find out how to arrange them turning the water off at the street. Note that the meter has a 'seal' that will be broken if you remove the meter. They will probably want to inspect the seal before they turn off the water and install a new one after.

Reply to
bud--