3/4 collar leaking

I'm replacing a water heater. The 3/4 collar screws to far onto the pin of a 3/4 stainless steel flex line and has a drip. It wont get tight enough. I used Teflon tape. The flex line has a rubber washer for that end but there isn't a way to seat it in the collar. Is there a special type of collar with a seat so I can put in the rubber washer and get it tighter? It's on the hot line.
Thanks GDG

The vocabulary you are using to describe the situation & the hardware is unfamiliar to me.
Typically, water heater flex lines have rubber washers, they depend on a face seal not a thread seal. Flex lines are meant to be installed onto threaded nipples.
The piping that receives the flex line (both ends) has to have male thread.
These type of joints do not need & do not benefit from teflon tape.
cheers Bob

Like Bob, I am guessing here since you used unfamiliar terms.
New flex? or reuse? You may need a new rubber washer. I assume they sell them.
Colbyt
On 12/19/2010 05:35 PM, Colbyt wrote:

All new equipment. I went with the fancy stainless steel lines instead of the copper. The SS have a pin on one end and box on the other. Copper have box on both ends. The pipes coming up out of the floor are 3/4 steel. On the hot side I screwed on a collar using teflon tape and screwed on the pin end of the SS flex line also using teflon tape. The pin screwed in all the way without much force and stopped against where the wrench goes. It leaks there, just enough drip that I'm worried it will get worse. The end with the box screws onto the pin on the tank and doesn't leak there. The cold side is good. Maybe if the collar was tapered it would snug up more. Are collars always straight through, not tapered? The box end of the SS flex line that screwed onto the tank didn't need the washer, it already had one installed so I thought maybe there was a collar that had a seat for a washer where it could snug up and stop before the pin went all the way in and bottomed out.
On the cold side I went with a valve then pin end of SS flex line and screwed box end onto tank. No leak.
Thanks GDG

I don't do these for a living. I am just a DIY guy. I have no clue as to what part you used. The only SS connects I am aware of are the supply lines, none of which are 3/4".
After reading Molly's post a picture might help one of us help you.
Colbyt

Your terminology sounds like you are not in the USA. Have you a neighbor who can help you compose your message so we can understand it?

"Pin and Box" is drill pipe terminology, used on drilling rigs. Nice to hear it again. Same thing as "Male and Female" threads. Slacker.
On 12/19/2010 10:40 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I am from a country called *TEXAS*.

In plumbing terminology, pin = male end, box = female end.
If you could provide a manufacturer and part number of the stainless steel line you are using that would be very helpful. Are these SS corrugated flex lines (such as those made by www.falconstainless.com), or are they plastic lines with a braided SS jacket? If you are using a corrugated line, you did get one intended for water, not for gas? The corrugated stainless steel water lines I've seen are all double female.

In plumbing terminology, I assume collar = coupling, a double female fitting.

Indeed, it sounds like there is a mismatch between the threading on the male end of your stainless steel flex line and threads on the coupling.

Good question, I've never checked.

If the nipple (short segment of pipe) coming out of your water heater had a rubber washer stuck on the end, you should discard it and use the new washer that came with the new flex line. Although I guess if it isn't leaking it's not worth messing with.

No, the only time I've seen washers used on IP threads is for the female end of a flex line.

Well, you could add a valve on the hot side to duplicate the cold side.
Cheers, Wayne
You have a gas line with an end for a flair nut. you need the one with both ends female ends. Jerry

Im guessing that your flex line is cracked at the flare and is leaking. You will need a new flex line. Do not use any flex line that is made by a company whos name starts with a W. I do not want to name the company here. The flex lines sold by this company tend to crack and leak.

You fail to say if the lines you are using are all new, or a combination of new and used. If it is all new, disassemble, try a new rubber washer, clean all teflon and redo. If you are combining new and used, there's your problem.
Steve

Why are you using flex lines to feed water I take it, like the rest confused post a picture
Are you using toilet tank supply lines with the rubber nipple in side ???
Jerry
Or a flaired nut union ???
Jerry
What pin ?????