2x4 Framing: which screws to use?

I am planning to finish out my basement, and would like to frame it out with 2x4's. Due to a wrist injury, I would prefer to use screws instead of nails, even if I have to pre-drill pilot holes. Are 2.5" or 3" standard drywall screws adequate to use? Please advise as to the correct type. thanks.
That's what I use. Works fine for me.

3" coarse threads are what I use.
IF you are planning on having this inspected you might want to run this by the inspector before you do it. Not that I think it is a problem in this application but DW screws do not have the same shear strength as nails. So some inspectors are picky.
Colbyt

I don't think drywall screws are considered a good choice. They may be cheap, but they are brittle and can break. I would also suggest getting a square drive and like screws. Consider non-galvanized deck screws.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I second the idea that drywall are not a good choice. Go for square drive deck screws, 3". Phillips drive are too easy to strip out the head.

www.mcfeelys.com They have a large choice of deck screws, square drive bits, and a lot of information about them.
OTOH, screw are generally not considered the best way to frame anything. I'd use a nail gun if I could not hammer properly. Screw break where a nail will bend under stress. In a basement, it may not be that critical as it is going to be for finishing rather that structural.
I would recommend using 3" deck screws. Get em at Home Depot.
In some cases (like when the deck screws run out) i've used 3" drywall type, but only in emergencies. If its for a basement its not going to be load bearing anyway.
If you are doing ALLOT of framing, an air framer might be a better idea for you. (most likely rent the setup from Home Depot, or even buy a cheap porter cable setup) Dont forget about cutting that Wood. Make sure to have a miter saw handy.
You're still going to do some twisting with the wrist when driving in those screws. Again it all depends on how much you'll be doing down there.
Tom

out
instead

I would use coated deck screws, 3 or 3.5".
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On 19 Feb 2005 11:05:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Your wrist will take more abuse with a screw gun than a hammer. If you dont press hard, you strip the screws and that takes a lot of wrist power. Otherwise rent a nail gun.

For that set of limitations, I'd actually suggest looking into metal framing.

Use a drill with a philips screwdriver bit. hold the drill against the screw and lean into it.
In article

Even better, use square drive screws; you don't have to push as hard.
I have a wrist problem too, and it is the impact rather than the push that hurts so I use screws instead of nails.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

So to who am I a slave? That's ridiculous.
Hey, it's almost April 15. Filed your taxes, yet?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus