2x12 with "crown" ?

I am building an addition with a 14x16 room upstairs. the floor joists for upstairs are 16' 2x12s. The back wall of the upstairs is set in 2' from the downstairs ouside wall, so that is the 14' side of the room. Anyhow, one of the 2x12s has a crown of about 3/4", facing up. I just noticed it today-- too late to change it or try to cut it down on top and shim the bottom. The undersides of the joists are still open, so I am wondering if I can possibly drill bout a 1/4" hole near the top of the joist, in the center lengthwise, put a steel cable through it and hang a couple of hundred pounds of weight from the cable to pull the joist down. Think that will work? I will not be putting the ceiling downstairs for quite a while, so it will not matter if it takes some time to straighten out. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Cut it out and put another board in.

Reply to
Bob

Take a saw-zall and cut the joist in half at the point of the top of the crown. You can go clean through top to bottom, or you can try and leave an inch or so of meat at the top. You may need to jump on the floor top get the crowned joist to "crack" (get into line). Now take a new, straight joist (remove any bridging or blocking) and bang it in to sister the cut joist. Nail the two together every 16" or so and you are done. The crown is permanent and would get worse before it got better.

Reply to
BP

Wouldn't it be easier to just pull the nails with a cats paw, knock the joist out and put in a new one?

Reply to
Bob

Easier? No. That is a bear of a job, especially if the joist was glued. Most of the first ply of sheathing comes out with it. From a task management perspective it is at least double the work. Try it once, then you'll know.

Reply to
BP

I was mainly thinking about how hard it would be to get that crown out of the existing one. Never thought about the glue.

Reply to
Bob

I have had to do this in the past, the crown was getting higher as the wood dried out. I found it best to cut at the 1/3 points, that is 2 cuts per length, this allows the flooring to flatten out better, otherwise you could end up with two smaller crowns if you just cut it in half. Be sure that you get the ends of the sister joist fitted over the support walls.

Reply to
EXT