27yr old GE fridge sometimes works and sometimes doesnt

I have a 27 year old side by side GE refrigerator.
Recently it stopped working. The fan still works, but the refrigerator part is not cool at all, and the freezer is only as cold as a refrigerator. But if I unplug it, and leave it off for a few days, then it starts working again for a few days. There was a light green liquid on the floor under the fridge, but it might have come from something that spilled. I know the best thing would be to replace the fridge, but my mom LOVES this fridge (why I dont know), and she wants to keep it.
Thank you.

The coil is freezing up. Could be the evaporator fan or the defrost cycle not working. The liquid is probably a mix of spills and mold.
If you replace it, the new one will probably save $15 a month in electricity.
Where is Jeff the appliance aid guy? He oughta have posted the link to his web page on defrost problems.
I'm with Ed. Sounds like you have a defrost problem. Wish I was there, I can fix a lot of refrig problems. BTW, where are you?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.