27 cents a mile

Page 4 of 5
On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 09:41:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

He may be pulling a 53' trailer too. He did not say what he drives.
On Monday, October 8, 2012 9:19:17 AM UTC-4, harry wrote:

Yeah, but a gallon is also ~20% larger in the UK.
9MPG in London is 7.5MPG in New York.
This is all because some toolbag way back when bought 40 gallon wine casks instead of 50 gallon water barrels for the trip across the ocean to the new world. They forgot that they were wine casks, and divided by 50 when figuring out how big a gallon was.

There are plenty of American vehicles that get better mpg than that. Even a Ford Aerostar gets at least 18mph highway, and usually more. And those minivans are built to LAST.

I never hard of it but looked it up. I see the diesel engined model was cancelled as was manual transmission II wonder why? But interesting gas guzzling options retained. Four litre petrol engines, all wheel drive. Mind boggling on a working vehicle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Aerostar
On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 23:29:54 -0700 (PDT), harry

Many auto makers are dropping manual transmissions. Automatics today are just as efficient and there is little demand for stick shift. Last manual I owned was over 35 years ago.
Many cars today have an "Eco" mode that programs the tranny for lower shift points and better MPG. Given the race to meet the required CAFE, they'd offer stick to get the mileage down if they could.
Ed Pawlowski wrote the following on 10/9/2012 6:03 AM (ET):

I still want a manual tranny. I want to be the one who decides when to shift gears, besides, I don't want my left leg to become atrophied from lack of use. :-)

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I still like the 5 speed in my Prelude but I can understand why a guy sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or two a day would want an automatic.

What's a "peddle bike" ?
It's eeko friendly, and predates the otto car.
Doesn't cost 27 cents a mile, either.
(One of my favorites, was the product that "needs no electricity; runs on batteries".)

What's a "peddle bike" ?

<snicker>

I had manual minivans, an '85 and a '90. I've had autos since, mostly because of my knee (and wife).

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 23:24:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Or eating the loss (lower profits).

The 2012 tax deduction is $055.5, or keep your receipts. Charity deduction is $0.14 per mile, medical & moving deductions are $0.23 per mile.
If you don't like to pay to drive, quit driving.

The 2012 tax deduction is $055.5, or keep your receipts. Charity deduction is $0.14 per mile, medical & moving deductions are $0.23 per mile.
If you don't like to pay to drive, quit driving.

His post was so nice, he posted it twice! ;-)
On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 19:58:19 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

$4.859 a gallon?
4.03, actually.

$4.859 a gallon?
On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 23:24:46 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

$.27 X 18 = $4.86. $4.03 => $.23/mile.
Move. I paid $3.399 Saturday, though it's somewhat more expensive here.

On Oct 7, 11:24pm, "Stormin Mormon"

How do you get 27 cents a mile at $4.03 per gallon?
4.03 / 18 = .22388