240v breakers, internal common trip?

I need a quad breaker (siemens), with a 20a-240v and two 20a-120v. It is available as an internal common trip on the 240v, or with just ties. The tie version says it is for 240v. I figure, rightly or wrongly, that they wouldn't make it with internal common trip unless that was somehow better than ties; but I can only find the tie version. My electical books says they meet code, but should be used only as a last resort. But if the manufacturer makes them for 240v...? Should I keep looking, or is the tie version okay? If someone can explain this to me, I would appreciate it.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

According to Wade Lippman :

I'm not quite sure what you mean/want here, so lets run thru the basics (a bit ;-)

A residential 240V breaker is just a dual 120V breaker that's tied internally or externally. Internal-tie breakers often only have one lever - which is probably what you're referring to as a "240V".

Yes, codes _do_ approve external ties, but only if they're factory installed (at least in the CEC). And they clearly _prefer_ internal ties.

As far as I've looked, the Siemans tiebars aren't trivially removable. You'd have to cut them off. They _may_ be considered internal for that reason. Unlike after-market add-ons.

I have a Siemans panel. There are some internal tie and some external tie duals in it. Duals, regardless of internal or external, take up the same panel space, the only difference being how many levers they have (one or two).

You're asking for a _quad_. Why? Why wouldn't two duals do the trick? You don't actually have to tie all four breakers together do you? Indeed, if you don't mind the two 120V circuits tied together (which they should be if they share a neutral), two internal-tie duals should do the trick (preferably), but any combination of external/internal tied duals would be acceptable.

As a bit of info, in my panel all of the 15A duals but one are external tie/dual lever.

The 30As are internal tie/single lever. As I didn't personally buy them all, and haven't been perusing Siemans breakers _lately_, it may well be that the larger breakers commonly available are all internal tie. [Don't know about

20A breakers, don't have call for them in the panel.]

Given how freely the inspector approved the panel, I don't imagine the fact that the ties were external really mattered much.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

If the objection to the tied breakers it that they could be removed, then the Siemens is fine. It came with the inner and outer ones tied together, and yes, I will have to cut the outer tie off because I want to use them as

120v. I called all the electrical supply houses in town looking for an internal and several people asked me why I would care. I will take that as a vote of confidence in the tie.

I need the quad because I am adding a 240v circuit and have little space left.

Thanks.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

why not try the twin 1 inch breakers for the other circuits, that can save you some space.

Reply to
j j

Except for one GFCI, they are all twins now. All my big 240v breakers are

2", but messing with those is a last resort; Maybe it is purely in my head, but I can't see putting 40a through a 1/2" breaker.
Reply to
Wade Lippman

Maybe you can't, but the manufacturer and UL can. :-)

Time for a subpanel, eh?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Maybe. I can live with a subpanel or the 1/2" breakers (yeh, I know they are okay, they just look so small); I am afraid it is getting time for a

400a service. Hopefully the more efficient A/C will save me; or maybe I can start switching appliances to gas.
Reply to
Wade Lippman

That would be my choice. In fact it was - in the last 4 years I switched the clothes dryer (saved 2- 1" spaces) a range (saved another 2- 1" spaces) to gas. Now my panel looks silly with 32 "slim" breakers and 4-1" blanks!

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here