240 volt to 120 volts

I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from this circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How can this be done?

Reply to
JB

Improperly.

Reply to
John Harlow

While it "can" be done, it should NOT be done.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not true. Assuming there is a neutral, he could put in a load center. It might be easier than running a new circuit.

Reply to
toller

a 240 line can easily be two 120's, but it's not to code

The reason no one will tell you is if you had even BASIC electrical knowledge, you wouldn't need to ask. It's not a good idea for someone who doesn't understand power to be taking shortcuts.

You should easily be able to pull 15 amps from any 120 circuit. I know of NO microwave that pulls more then 15 AMPS :)

If you can't isolate a circuit, consider having a licensed electricial add a new one to your breaker box.

Reply to
treo

This is Turtle.

I think I smell smoke ! Do you smell it ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
RBM

Don't do it. Even if you figured out how to do it, you'd have a uWave on a 30 amp fuse or whatever your stove has - that's why some talked about a load center, etc. in th eposts. A uWave gone bad on a 30A fuse could cause lots and lots of smoke, sparks and fire. There's more to it than just the couple of wires your friends probably told you about.

Your very basic question indicates you don't have the background to accomplish this safely or within code or in any way that would satisfy your insurance company after the fire. Best to get a pro in there. No, I'm not a contractor.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

when the oven is baking while the burners are cookin and together they're pulling 25amps, you turn on that microwave and 15amps instantly trips the oven breaker.

Reply to
bumtracks

Ya like there is room to install an panel. Not to mention the need for access, and removing the stove is not considered access.

Reply to
SQLit

...so you learn to avoid doing that.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Well, they'll be a chance to redo it in the new kitchen/house... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

do you intend to keep using the 220v for a range?

Reply to
bill a

Just cram a piece of 12-2 romex thru the same hole and run it alongside the range cable and to the main panel. Get yourself another

20A breaker and you got your microwave circuit. If that's too difficult, hire an electrician.

Reply to
no

The best way is to run a separate dedicated circuit for the microwave. Leave the stove circuit alone!

Reply to
Phisherman