240 volt to 120 volts

I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from this circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How can this be done?
JB wrote:

Improperly.

might be easier than running a new circuit.

This is Turtle.
I think I smell smoke ! Do you smell it ?
TURTLE
It's probably the least practical way to get a circuit for the microwave, but as toller said, you could install a panel. The feed to the stove would have to be of sufficient size to feed both loads and it would need to have both a neutral and a ground. You'd install the panel per code with a double pole breaker and new four wire cable going to the stove outlet and single pole breaker and cable going to the microwave outlet

Just cram a piece of 12-2 romex thru the same hole and run it alongside the range cable and to the main panel. Get yourself another 20A breaker and you got your microwave circuit. If that's too difficult, hire an electrician.
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:59:49 -0500, "RBM" <rmottola1(remove

Ya like there is room to install an panel. Not to mention the need for access, and removing the stove is not considered access.

While it "can" be done, it should NOT be done.

a 240 line can easily be two 120's, but it's not to code
The reason no one will tell you is if you had even BASIC electrical knowledge, you wouldn't need to ask. It's not a good idea for someone who doesn't understand power to be taking shortcuts.
You should easily be able to pull 15 amps from any 120 circuit. I know of NO microwave that pulls more then 15 AMPS :)
If you can't isolate a circuit, consider having a licensed electricial add a new one to your breaker box.
JB wrote:

Don't do it. Even if you figured out how to do it, you'd have a uWave on a 30 amp fuse or whatever your stove has - that's why some talked about a load center, etc. in th eposts. A uWave gone bad on a 30A fuse could cause lots and lots of smoke, sparks and fire. There's more to it than just the couple of wires your friends probably told you about.
Your very basic question indicates you don't have the background to accomplish this safely or within code or in any way that would satisfy your insurance company after the fire. Best to get a pro in there. No, I'm not a contractor.
Pop
when the oven is baking while the burners are cookin and together they're pulling 25amps, you turn on that microwave and 15amps instantly trips the oven breaker.

...so you learn to avoid doing that.
Nick

Well, they'll be a chance to redo it in the new kitchen/house... :)
do you intend to keep using the 220v for a range?

The best way is to run a separate dedicated circuit for the microwave. Leave the stove circuit alone!