240 v plug

That sounds like a 15A receptacle. You'll burn it up with that 30A electric heater. You need two 30A breakers (tied together at the factory into a single unit), and a 30A plug and receptacle. I would probably use a 3-wire dryer receptacle, or a 50A welder receptacle even though they technically not the right ones, because they are adequate and are easy to find.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Have electric garage heater that I need to provide recepticle for. the plug is 3 prong and shaped as follows two lower blaces ot 180 degrees and center is a round prong. sort of like this but with the 2

180 degree blades lower than the center round prong _0_ can I assume the 2 blades are to 120 v + and - legs while the center prong goes to ground.

applience requires 30 amps of breaker so I will be using 2 15 amp breakers and a 10 foot run of 10 gage copper.

stan

Reply to
Uriah Heep

There will be less confusion if you identify the plug on the heater here:

will also help if you publish the name plate amp draw on the heater.

DanG

actually sounds like could either be a NEMA 6-15 15A 250V rated plug or the

30A 250V rated plug NEMA 6-30 The only difference is the 15A has smaller blades and the 30A blades are larger

Reply to
MC

So it is. I was thinking the 6-30 had parallel blades and an 'L' shaped ground. I guess I should have looked it up first.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I'd suggest checking with an electrician. Two 15's doesn't work for a 30 amp

240 volt circuit. Sounds like you're having a learning moment, here. From your question, it sounds like you have a lot of learning available to you.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon