240 to 120 outlet adapterr box

Have OCCASIONAL need for power, 120 volts from a 240 volt outlet, for the holidays only.

thinking of making up a adapter box, 240 volt plug on short wire, not using one leg inside the box, putting a 15 amp inline fuse inside the adapter box and a standard duplex outlet in a work box.

seems like a simple solution, I would rather not run a new line, its a seasonal issue only and would be a bear runninmg a line in this area

Reply to
hallerb

Will work IF your 240V box has the neutral (4 wires).

If not then the only way would be to temporarily rewire the circuit at the panel using a 15 or 20A breaker. Move the other leg to neutral. and change out the 240V outlet to a 120V outlet. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

I don't know what your Wattage requirement is. You can get a bi-way step up/down transformer for less than 20.00 on eBay. I got one for

16.00 and it works very well.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

so do it.

Steve Barker DLT

Assuming you are talking about a legally wired 3 wire dryer outlet. I don't see a huge problem with this since most (all?) holiday lighting does not use a ground. The grounded pin in the dryer receptacle should be wired on the "white" so it is a neutral additionally being used as a ground. The only caveat is that the 240v circuit comes from the service disconnect enclosure (not a sub). Use a plastic box so you don't need an EGC and use a GFCI receptacle (or two on opposite phases). You will then be "hold your nose legal" and not particularly unsafe. Everyone knows the NEC goes on vacation at Christmas anyway ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

The first rule for projects like this, is not to tell anyone.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Your improperly-made posts are hard to read. You already know about your failure to mark quoted material, and posting the sig in the wrong place.

PLONK

Reply to
Sam E

The world has 6 billion people. Untold millions of computers. And you write to tell me that my posts aren't going to appear on one computer, in one home, in front of one guy who doesn't like me. Somehow, I can't get very concerned about that bit of information.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon