240 to 110 v

I have recently bought a few golf carts from the state`s I need to adapt the chargers to 110v(120)v from a 240 v AC output (standard power in SA) Any Ideas Potentiometer Bridge? need 10Amps to 15 Amps at 110 t0 120 volt AC
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 03:31:56 -0800 (PST), Corne

If I read you correctly, you have 240VAC mains and want to power the 120VAC charger and need 10-15 amps.
You need a 2KVA (kilo volt amps) 240 V to 120 V step down transformer.
See for example 7029K45 at www.mcmaster.com
If you can live with 10 amps, you can get by with a 1.5 KVA.
HTH,
Paul F.
Let me add, it may be better to just provide the correct voltage by adding a circuit or two.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Read the original post. He is in South Africa. The additional circuits would still be 240 volts. -- Tom Horne
Tom Horne wrote:

I'm just curious, in countries where 240V is standard, is the service typically similar to that in the US where you have two conductors with 120VAC relative to ground, 180 out of phase, or is there simply one 240VAC conductor?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
I should have noticed the e-mail address.
> Read the original post. He is in South Africa. The additional circuits

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Corne,
Sorry, no quick fix. You have a charger circuit that requires 240 v AC. You have 120 v AC. you will need to make or buy a charger that takes 120v AC and puts out the appropriate DC voltage, which you haven't given us. Asuuming that the DC voltage is around 12 v. many auto stores will have a charger for sale. This should be cheap. If you need a weird charging voltage then you'll need to transform the 120 v Ac to 240 v AC. This is doable but not cheap. Are you sure that 240 v AC is not available. My home has both. This is not uncommon.
Dave M.

confirm the batteries are in good shape before spending a ton on conversions.
try calling whoever made the carts there MIGHT be a switch somewhere that automatically changes it:) thats cause so much is sold internationally these days, thew cart manufacturer may have wanted both markets and built the ability into things.
lots of stuff is like that today..........
As I read your post, you are in South America, where the power is 240. And the golf cart is from US, and is equipped with 110 vac input for the charger.
Only thing I can figure is to use a step down transformer. I'm not familiar with the power wiring there, but maybe an electrican there is familiar with USA wiring, and can make it happen some how.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Corne" < snipped-for-privacy@telkom.co.za> wrote in message
On Dec 31, 8:57�am, "Stormin Mormon"

in the US 240 can easily produce 120 volts if the carts say 110 vlots they are likely older. a step down transformer is the likely easiest fix, i have used them in the US for special service needs.
the cart manufacturer may have a adapter designed just for this situation