230v service

5p5 Wrote:

Yes, I'm in Texas and I strongly suspect 220v is how he wired the wall plug. In the side panel of the A/C unit, however, it says 230v/208v. Isn't this one leg of 3 phase? Since this is a "ranch house" the only thing that is done to code is the A/C unit itself when it was made in the factory.
I have yet to find where this wiring is coming from so I can figure out what he's done and where the power to both legs come from. I hope I don't have to tear up the wall to find out but it may take that. At the very least I suspect I'm going to have to replace the A/C unit.
Thanks for your answer.
--
DanaK

DanaK Wrote: > Yes, I'm in Texas and I strongly suspect 220v is how he wired the wall > plug. In the side panel of the A/C unit, however, it says 230v/208v. > Isn't this one leg of 3 phase? Since this is a "ranch house" the only > thing that is done to code is the A/C unit itself when it was made in > the factory.

> what he's done and where the power to both legs come from. I hope I > don't have to tear up the wall to find out but it may take that. At > the very least I suspect I'm going to have to replace the A/C unit.

I think that the 230/208 would indicate that it -could- be wired for, or run on 208, but it had to running off of 220 at your house. First thing to check is the breaker, and if that's ok, check the receptacle itself. If you aren't comfortable doing this, get an electrician. It's not likely that the actual wires are the problem, and I doubt that it's much more than a quick service call for an electrician.
--
5p5

5p5 Wrote: > I think that the 230/208 would indicate that it -could- be wired for, or > run on 208, but it had to running off of 220 at your house. First thing > to check is the breaker, and if that's ok, check the receptacle itself. > If you aren't comfortable doing this, get an electrician. It's not > likely that the actual wires are the problem, and I doubt that it's > much more than a quick service call for an electrician.
Ok, I thought if it said 230/208v that it wouldn't run on anything else - or burn something up due to low voltage or out of phase current.
I'll have to trace the line out to see where it goes. I've crimped some new forked connectors onto the plug terminals so it would have a better connection. He'd used a 10 or 8 guage stranded wire that had all kinds of loose ends sticking out.
Thanks.
--
DanaK

On Fri, 6 May 2005 14:29:01 +0100, DanaK

The transformer at the street is fed from one leg of a three phase service. This is standard in the united states. If your a/c unit is marked 230v then your outlet was 230v (commonly called 220, 230 or 240) or the a/c unit would have never worked.

The type of house has nothing to do with whether it meets code or not. In most places the house has to meet the National Electric Code or local code to get a certificate of occupancy when it was built. Older houses, of course, won't meet current code without upgrades but any new wiring you do has to meet the current codes.

The wirirng should come from a 220v double breaker in the panel and run directly to the outlet. There is no reason to suspect a problem with the a/c unit at this point. It requires 220v to work and you don't have that so it won't work. Thats kind of like running the car out of gas and saying you need a new one before you add more gas.
A decent electrician can make sense of this and explain it to you in a matter of minutes. Even if its a bad wire an electrician can put a tracer on it and tell you exactly where the wire runs and where the problem is. Why would you want to replace the a/c and tear out walls to save a $50 charge for an hour of somebodys time?