220v Well Pump on 110v?

Can I safely (and temporarily) run my 1/2 horse, 220v submersible well pump with my 1000w, 110v generator?
NO, 1000 watts isn't enough power and you'll just trip the breaker on the generator, and using half the required voltage would overheat and burn out the pump motor

Pat & Betsy Parrish wrote:

If it runs at all it will be taking a beating. The motor windings will overheat.
--
Tom Horne

Some pumps can be wired for 110 or 220 (Check the plate) but I seriously doubt if 1000W generator will supply enough power for the pump Pat & Betsy Parrish wrote:

No

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org