220v for welder

Hi all:

I am trying to wire a new receptacle to a pre-existing 220v line that was for a dryer in my shop- the welder requires a 30 A line which this one is, and needs a NEMA 6-50 receptacle. I can see that the dryer receptacle has two hots ( red and black) and a neutral white- however, i see that the

6-50 needs two hots and a ground. I am assuming that this means the existing line can still be used with a few modifications- it is 10/3- .....tape a green indicator on both ends of the white and make that a ground? is this correct Thanks for any help-!
Reply to
inspired13

Yes, assuming it's wired correctly (to the main panel and not a subpanel.) But it might be cheaper and easier to put a NEMA 10-30 plug on the welder.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

That is actually the way I have me welder and pressure washer. It lets me use it at just about anyone's house.

Reply to
gfretwell