220 wiring for spa

Page 1 of 3
I recently ran a new line for my soon-to-be-delivered hot tub, and before they hook it up, I wanted to see if someone had an opinion what I'm seeing right now.
I have a fairly old house, and the main breaker panel was full, so we installed a "Spa Kit", which was basically a seperate box with a 50-amp dual pole GFI breaker already included. This runs to a 60-amp disconnect outside, about 10 feet from the tub, and then there is about 20-feet or so of remaining wire for the install.
Everything seems fine right now, until I throw the disconnect on, at which point it arcs at the main GFI in the house and trips the breaker and disconnect hard.
The hook-up seems pretty straight-forward, and I'm not sure what could be causing this. The bare end for the tub has been splayed apart a bit to make sure that the ends aren't touching. Is this happening because I'm not "terminating" the grounding wire at the tub yet??
"The hook-up seems pretty straight-forward, and I'm not sure what could
be causing this. The bare end for the tub has been splayed apart a bit to make sure that the ends aren't touching. Is this happening because I'm not "terminating" the grounding wire at the tub yet?? "
No. Sounds like something is wired incorrectly at the disconnect. Having the other end of the cable open and not connected to anything should not produce a GFCI trip.
hmmm....it looks correct to me. The two hot wires from each run are connected correctly. The grounds are secure, and the neutrals are connected together.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Re-check your wiring. You have a dead short somewhere.
A Doug Miller Classic.
Doug, in all his infinite wisdom, and via his own words has stated he only gives info when the person asking appears to be knowledgable enough to handle it.
In this case, the OP wants to know if his breaker is tripping because he hasn't hooked up the ground to his Spa yet.
Doug, does this sound like someone who knows what he is doing? (And no offense to the OP, but sir, call an electrician, PLEASE).
You just told someone to look for a dead short in a 220v line to a SPA, for gods sake.
Doug, don't you think this is a bit of dangerous advice?

Simply _looking_ for a dead short in a 240 line can easily be done without the line energized and is perfectly safe.
Testing something by deliberately inducing a main-lug-to-main-lug dead short isn't by definition.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Ah, but did Doug tell him to deenergize the circuit? How can you be sure the OP will do it?
But, since the breaker trips, lets just assume that the circuit is dead, and go on a hypothetical:
What if the OP thinks he has found the short, say maybe a cable clamp too tight.
So he yells to his wife to flip the breaker.
And then we find out that the good news is that yes, the OP found and corrected the short. The bad news is that some part of his body is in contact with a now exposed circuit. And now the homeowner is dead.
Or, perhaps the HO finds the short in the cable, repairs it with electrical tape, installs the hot tub, and all is well.
Until the one night somebody splashed a bit too much water outside the tub, and now there are multiple fatalities.
Can't everyone now sue Doug? Didn't Doug tell someone to go look for a short?
Would the homeowner/and or guests be dead if Doug hadn't told him to look for a short, and instead kept silent or told him to call an Electrician?
Info is Info, good or bad.
If people can die from bad info, then it's also true that good info can kill them.

Not exactly. But it's no surprise to me to discover that subtle distinctions are lost upon you.

Possibly not.

No, Matt, I told him to re-check his connections. He doesn't have "a 220v line to a spa" - the spa isn't hooked up yet. He has a 220v line to nothing, and he wired it wrong somewhere.

Not particularly, given that he's *already*doing* the wiring. Nothing I can say will change that.
Proving once again that Matt can't tell the difference between good advice and bad...
Well, it's obviously something wrong. Might want to get a second opinion (in person, someone familiar with electric). Before you go too much further.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Divide and Conquer!
Disconnect (completely) the 'disconnect box' from the box with the 50A GFCI breaker, then see what happens when you close the 50A GFCI breaker. That'll at least tell you where your trouble is...
rob
On 2 May 2005 15:54:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you are not a qualified licensed electrician you are making a big mistake trying to wire up your hot tub.
You could hook up something incorrectly and wind up DEAD!
This is no "do-it-yourself" job for an amateur.
For example, did you connect the grounding bar in the GFI breaker to the proper place?

Something to check: a half-high double-pole breaker on the wrong spot in the panel creates a dead short.

How?

Actually, what it produces is a 120V circuit with two hot wire, and two breakers in parallel. Which won't do you a bit of good with a 240V load, because both legs of the load are at the same voltage - applying _zero_ volts across the load.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis writes:

Which is to say, a dead short, thus zero volts by definition.

No, A dead short at this type of voltage would envolve large amounts of current. Connecting the same phase together at some point gives a difference of 0 volts but also no current and doesnt blow fuses..
Jimmie writes:

Right, but the two conductors are still DEAD SHORTED TO EACH OTHER.

By the same definition, the two ends of a single wire are "dead shorted to each other". What useful information does that yield?
Zip.
The term you're using completely obfuscates the real result: no current flow, no breaker trip, device simply doesn't do anything.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis writes:

Glib nonsense. It changes the diagnostic possibilities, and must be ruled out. A backfeed somewhere would cause the behavior described.