220 vs. 110 for Hot Tub

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:45:29 -0400, dgk

Two mistakes. One is using a hot tub as a bath tub, the other is no heater in a soaking tub.
Jeff

Yes, a hot tub is one of those nice outdoor things or a large indoor one for multiple folks. Not what I meant. I don't have room for one of those. I was referring to a standard sized tub that has water jets and runs around $600, so perhaps this is the wrong thread to tack on to. However, they do have optional heaters and I will need to run another circuit if I get the heater. I might have to anyway. So what I really meant was, do I need the heater for that?
Right now I don't use the tub at all. But I don't smell because there is a separate stall shower that I do use. Correction, the tub is in use, that is where the cat's litter box resides. Likely the reason that I don't use it for a nice soak; I'd end up entombed by the clumping litter.
So, the plan was to install a shower fixture for the tub and replace the tub with a jacuzzi type tub so it can be used primarily for showering plus the occasional hot soak. The stall shower would likely receive the litter box and perhaps some shelves for storage.
Is there any reason that a Jacuzzi type tube can't/shouldn't be used in this way? Would it need a separate heater? I did hear once that you shouldn't use oil based soaps if you have a jacuzzi, apparently it rots the jets. There is something that I never had to worry about before.

I have both an inside tub with jets and an outside spa. The house came with the tub, I brought the spa from a previous home. Before I shelled out the bucks to install a new inside tub with jets, I would seriously look at going with an outside spa, if you have room. First, for renovations like this, you can wind up having to spend a lot of money to redo tile walls, floors, etc. Add that to the cost of the tub and you're well on your way to a real spa.
The tub has to be filled each time you use it. I don't think a heater is needed, because you likely won't spend that long in it. If it starts to cool, you can always add more hot water. Of course, that's another drawback, you have to fill it, wait and watch it, and all the hot water energy is wasted. And if you're just replacing a std size tub, you barely wind up with enough room for one person.
The outside spa can seat several people comfortably, is always available, and is far more enjoyable to spend time in. I use mine throughout the year. It's great for parties, having a few beers and smoking a nice cigar. Plus, depending on where you put it, the installation may be as simple as running a 240V line to it. They have timers so you can program it to stay at a lower temp most of the time to save energy, but rise at times of the day when you may want to use it. All in all, I think they are far more practical.
On 22 Sep 2004 15:03:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

I'm getting nagged about the bathroom needing a major renovation. Looks fine to me, but my vote doesn't seem to count. So all the tile work and floors is fairly likely to occur anyway. Ok, very likely. Ouch.
I have this 18 foot attached house. And it's starting to get cold outside. Is a spa even doable when it's freezing outside? Seems that it would cost an awful lot to keep it warm. One actually could fit in what is now the barbeque.
An interesting idea, to be sure, and one I hadn't really considered. Most likely though, the inside one happens first. I think I can get one wide enough for two people, and that should suffice for now.
I would have the only spa on the block though. Maybe I could stock it with fish as entertainment for the cats.