220 Power from two 110 volt sources

Page 2 of 2

Or you could use one of those arcane devices known to the illuminati as a transformer.. but what fun would that be?
--Goedjn
Jim M wrote:

test of a few pieces of equipment. We had some small 220V blowers we needed to test, on a short term basis. So we wired a setup as you described and used it. It worked quite well for what we were doing. I don't think we had more than a dozen units to test, and when we were through we took it apart.
Bill Gill
Typically, a house has two power wires coming in. To get 110 volt, you wire from one power wire to neutral. To get 220, you wire from one power wire to the other power wire.
In theory, if you use two sockets which are on the two different power wires. Adn if the plugs are in right (black wire in the cord is connected to the black wire in the wall, to the power wire) then it will work.
The practical reality is that it's a bit of a crapshoot if you can find the right sockets, and put the plugs in right. And if the sockets are wired correctly.
Still, in theory,if the sun and moon and stars line up, it will work.
--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank