21 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

Page 5 of 6

Per Bob La Londe:

Is the camera is constantly creating the same video file and something else cuts it into chunks to FTP? Or does the camera start a new file every do often? Or am I totally off base?
--
PeteCresswell

Two big mutts - and while they tear them apart - I can lock and load.
--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Usually the way it works is the camera software updates the same file name when it sees motion (pixel change) and the FTP client sees the file time/date change and uploads it. That is how Fling works anyway.

The DVR is creating video files. I have never used an IP camera with its own DVR.

3. Never mind the Dog: Beware of Owner!! 4. Survivors will be SHOT twice.

I saw this at a farmers' market in a rural part of PA just outside suburban Philadelphia:
Trespassers - beware of flying objects! They will be bullets!
Maybe I'll open my windows a crack and put a weeks worth of news papers on the front step just so I can drop you in a pool of blood where you belong.
My hubby is retired cop. I hired on to paint the condo upstairs from us when the owner was getting ready to sell. Hubby "helped" for a while, usually doing "step 3" when I was preparing to do "step 2". Like priming spots that were just patched.....so I decided to lock the door and not accept "help". He knew that folks on second floor never lock the doors to their balconies......being the gadget freak that he is, he bought a power roller to do the walls/ceilings. Cleaned the power roller with denatured alcohol for some reason. Spilled that on carpet, which caused the carpet to buckle.....thanks, honey. He filed in August.
Per G. Morgan:

I'd bet that somebody more creative than Yours Truly could do something with this - along the lines of the proposed NRA steamship cruise into Somali waters.
--
PeteCresswell

I tell people not to leave their garage door opener remote in their car in plain view...open the overhead door and you're pretty much in since most people don't lock the door from garage into the house.
And of course when having your car serviced at a shop never give them anything but your car keys.
--
**Crash Gordon**

"G. Morgan" <usenet snipped-for-privacy@gawab.com> wrote in message
"Crash Gordon" wrote:

I always offered to bug not only the overhead garage door but also the interior door leading from the garage to the house. I'd put a longer delay on the roll-up door and a short delay on the inside door. We would install a keypad just inside the door to the house. I made it a selling point since most of our competitors didn't even bother protecting the roll-up door and those who did never bugged the inside one.
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass
Van Chocstraw wrote:

It's good that the sign warns "video stored off-site".
A few years ago, a couple of Maine teen-agers broke into a boat shed at a boat repair shop. Their plan was to steal the radios from the boats to listen in on police frequencies. Half-way through the caper, they noticed the video camera.
What to do?
They burnt the boat shed to the water line!
Fortunately, the video was off-site and it took the local fuzz about two minutes to identify the culprits. Then it got bad.
One of the boats belonged to George H.W. Bush and the Secret Service got on the case. The 17-year old they let the state handle. After restitution, he got five years probation.
The 16-year old was charged with domestic terrorism and sentenced to the only maximum security federal prison for juveniles, somewhere in Pennsylvania, until he turns 25.
So there he is, locked up for nine years with (mostly) drunk Indians.
Crime don't pay.
"HeyBub" wrote:

Hmm. What federal law was that?
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass
Robert L Bass wrote:

ummm. domestic terrorism?
"JImbo" wrote:

That sounds good, but which federal statute would that be?
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass
Robert L Bass wrote:

You may remember the Constitution busting "Patriot Act"? Section 802 "domestic terrorism" gives the Feds the wide reaching authority to declare almost anything "domestic terrorism" which then allows them to investigate.
"George" wrote:

Yep. I'm awarte of the so-called "Patriot" Act, which we agree was nothing but the Bush administration's way of ignoring things they don't like, such as the US Constitution. The definition of domestic terrorism in the act follows:
(a) DOMESTIC TERRORISM DEFINED- Section 2331 of title 18, United States Code, is amended-- (1) in paragraph (1)(B)(iii), by striking `by assassination or kidnapping' and inserting `by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping'; (2) in paragraph (3), by striking `and'; (3) in paragraph (4), by striking the period at the end and inserting `; and'; and (4) by adding at the end the following: `(5) the term `domestic terrorism' means activities that-- `(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; `(B) appear to be intended-- `(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; `(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or `(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and `(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.'. (b) CONFORMING AMENDMENT- Section 3077(1) of title 18, United States Code, is amended to read as follows: `(1) `act of terrorism' means an act of domestic or international terrorism as defined in section 2331;'.
Reading that I see nothing related to the story posted in this thread, which I suspect might be modern urban legend (aka bullshit).
Robert L Bass wrote:

I see you reach conclusions about the Patriot Act the same way you reach conclusions about the truthfullness of the story.
The original posting was (mostly) true. Here's how you can tell:
* I posted it, and * Doug went to the trouble to find the original story and posted two links:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id 8120&page=1
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t9687
Would you like some links regarding the actual workings of the Patriot Act?
"HeyBub" wrote:

Granted, but it seems there was no domestic terrorism charge.

I don't know who you are so that's no proof.

Doug's participation in a thread usually signals a decline in the discussion. I looked it up, too, and found that while the story was based on fact, the "domestic terrorism" part was not. I assume that was how you heard it -- no implication was intended that you misled us. I hope it didn't seem as though I thought that.
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass